Counting Passwords with Restrictions

In summary, there are 268 possible passwords with 1 letter repeating if no letter repeats and 8 if one letter repeats.
Curiouspoet
Counting Lists With Repetition

Homework Statement

How many ways can you create an 8 letter password using A - Z where at most 1 letter repeats?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to attack this problem but first I thought that A-Z considers 26 letters so with no restrictions on passwords we can create 268 passwords. I'm thinking it's 268 - X, where X is a term or a series of terms, but I'm not sure how to determine them, or if this is even the correct setup.

Well there are two cases given by the restrictions as follows:
A) No letter repeats in which we have a k list without repetition which is given by (n)k = n!/(n-k)!

B) One letter repeats in which case I think it's 26*[(n-1)!/(n-k-1)!].

And of course in this case n = 26 k = 8. Is this correct? If not could someone give me a hint?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of taking an 8-list of 26 letters where at most 1 letter repeats, would it just be the sum of case A and case B as I wrote?

i think you almost nailed it. i would separate it to 2 sections.
one - no repeating. in this particular case, we choose 8 letters from 26 and count all the ways we can order them, which is what you've mentioned [itex]\frac{26!}{(26-8)!}[/itex]

two - one letter repeats. in this one, we choose only 7 letters from 26 and count all the way we can order 8 letters and subtract the number of ways we order the letters when the two similar letters are together.

why is that? i'll let you ponder about it. :)

then - as you've already typed, you will add what you've gotten from the 1st section and add it to the result of the 2nd section and that's the
answer to your question.

Related to Counting Passwords with Restrictions

1. What is a counting function?

A counting function is a mathematical function used to determine the number of elements in a set. It assigns a unique number to each element in the set, allowing for a one-to-one correspondence between the elements and the numbers.

2. How do you define a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, which are grouped together based on a certain criteria. The elements in a set can be anything from numbers and letters to more complex objects such as people or animals.

3. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements in that set. It is denoted by the symbol |S|, where S is the set. For example, if a set contains the numbers 1, 2, and 3, its cardinality would be 3.

4. How do you determine the cardinality of an infinite set?

The cardinality of an infinite set can be determined by using the concept of one-to-one correspondence. This means that each element in the infinite set can be paired with a unique element in the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). The cardinality of the infinite set is then equal to the cardinality of the set of natural numbers.

5. What are some common counting functions?

Some commonly used counting functions include the identity function, which maps each element to itself, and the successor function, which maps each element to its next consecutive element. Other examples include the factorial function, which counts the number of ways to arrange a set of objects, and the binomial coefficient function, which counts the number of combinations of objects.