Counting Permutations for Board of Directors: 10 Members and 5 Officers

In summary, the board of directors has 10 members and will elect 5 officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The total number of possible combinations for officers is 10×9×8×7×6, or 10!/5!. If three board members are physicians, there are 3×9×8×7×6 combinations with a physician as president. There are 5×9×8×7×6 combinations with exactly 1 physician as an officer, and there are 10×9×8×7×6 combinations with at least 1 physician as an officer.
chris2020

Homework Statement

Board of directors has 10 members. from the 10 members they will elect 5 officers. President, vice-pres, sec and treas

A) From the 10 board members how many combinations of officers are there?

B) If three board memebers are physicians, how many combinations have a physician as president?

C) Exactly 1 physician as an officer?

D) At least 1 physician as an officier?

Homework Equations

m[/B]
M×N

The Attempt at a Solution

A) 10×9×8×7×6, 10!/5!

B) 3x9x8x7x6

C) 3×7×6×5×4

D) 3×9×8×7×6

I just imagined plugging in people to the various office positions and used the simple M×N formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is fine - for A you reduced the number each time because nobody can have two positions, and divided by 5! because the order is unimportant.

For B: While there are three ways a physician can be president, you don't care which physician is president. Remember also that the order they get assigned still does not matter.

So ur saying i should rethink solutions for b, c, d?

It can help to check using letters and numbers:

ABCDEFGHIJ are the members
12345 are the jobs. 1 = president.

ABC are doctors X = placeholder

ADEFG
BDEFG
CDEFG
... each have a physician as president ... do we care if it's A or B or C who holds the post when it comes to counting unique combinations.
I think that's a judgement call - also is ADEFG the same or different from ADFEG?

Simon Bridge said:
do we care if it's A or B or C who holds the post when it comes to counting unique combinations.
Yes, they count as different combinations here. I agree with the OP's answer for (b).
The answer for (c) is not quite right. Chris, can you explian your reasoning there?
The answer to (d) should be much higher than the answer to (b).

It seems any good countable combination must have A, B or C in the president position however the other positions can permute all combinations a-j... well minus whomever is president in that combination...c)

I was thinking i have 2 pools of people. Physicians (3) and non-physicians(7)
so i just plugged a physician in an office then used the 7 from the other pool to permute the other offices..

chris2020 said:
It seems any good countable combination must have A, B or C in the president position however the other positions can permute all combinations a-j... well minus whomever is president in that combination...c)

I was thinking i have 2 pools of people. Physicians (3) and non-physicians(7)
so i just plugged a physician in an office then used the 7 from the other pool to permute the other offices..

For c) you have 3 different physicians and 5 different offices to fill in the one physician. Then populate the rest of the offices. For d) think about how many ways of populating use no physicians. The rest of them use at least one.

FAQ: Counting Permutations for Board of Directors: 10 Members and 5 Officers

1. What is the definition of counting permutations?

Counting permutations refers to the process of determining the number of possible arrangements or orderings of a set of elements. It involves counting the number of ways in which the elements can be rearranged while maintaining the same items.

2. How do you calculate the number of permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated by using the formula n! / (n-r)! where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items being arranged in each permutation. This is known as the permutation formula.

3. Can you provide an example of counting permutations?

Let's say we have a set of 4 letters - A, B, C, and D. The number of permutations of these letters can be calculated as 4! / (4-3)! = 24. This means that there are 24 possible ways to arrange the letters in different orders such as ABC, BAC, CBA, etc.

4. How is counting permutations different from combinations?

Counting permutations involves considering the order or arrangement of the elements, while combinations do not take into account the order. In other words, in permutations, AB and BA are considered as two different arrangements, but in combinations, they are considered as the same combination.

5. What are some real-life applications of counting permutations?

Counting permutations has various applications in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. It is used in cryptography, data analysis, and solving probability problems. For example, in a lottery, the number of possible permutations of numbers can be calculated to determine the chances of winning.