Counting Ways to Place Flags on Poles

In summary, there are 4 possible ways to place 2 flags on 2 poles. There is a formula, N+1, for calculating the number of ways to place flags on poles, which works for any number of poles and flags. You can place any number of flags on any number of poles. For example, there are 16 possible ways to place 3 flags on 4 poles. There is no limit to the number of flags you can place on poles as long as you follow the formula.
Punkyc7
Find the number of way to place m flags on n distinct poles with at least one flag on each pole if the flags are identical. What if the flags are distinct.

For the first part I said that there were
n[itex]^{m-n}[/itex]

because if you have m flag and you need each pole to have a flag you have m-n flags left. From those remaining flags we can put them on n poles.For the second part I just did the cases if there were 2 3 and 4 poles with a small number of balls to see if I could find a pattern and this is what I got

(n!)*[itex]\frac{(m+n-1)!}{(2n-1)!}[/itex]

but I am not sure if that is anywhere close to the right answerMy question is are these answers right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I cannot confirm whether your answers are right or not without further context and information. However, I can provide some insights and suggestions for approaching this problem.

For the first part, your answer of n^{m-n} is correct. This is because for each of the n poles, we have m-n remaining flags to choose from, and we can choose any combination of these remaining flags for each pole. This is essentially the same as finding the number of ways to distribute m-n identical objects into n distinct groups, which is given by n^{m-n}.

For the second part, your approach of considering different numbers of poles and flags is a good start. However, instead of manually calculating the number of ways for each case, you can try to generalize it by considering the total number of possible arrangements for m flags on n poles. For example, for 2 poles, we have m+1 possible arrangements (0 flags on one pole, 1 flag on one pole, 2 flags on one pole, etc.). Similarly, for 3 poles, we have m+2 possible arrangements. This suggests that the total number of arrangements for m flags on n poles is (m+n-1)!, since we have m+n-1 objects (m flags and n-1 separators) to arrange in a row. However, we need to divide this by the number of ways to arrange the n-1 separators, which is (n-1)!. This gives us the formula of \frac{(m+n-1)!}{(n-1)!} for the total number of arrangements.

Now, for the distinct flags case, we need to consider the number of ways to arrange these distinct flags within each arrangement. This can be done by multiplying the total number of arrangements by the number of ways to permute m distinct flags, which is m!. Therefore, the final formula becomes (m+n-1)! * m! / (n-1)!. This is the same formula you have provided, and it appears to be correct.

In summary, your approach and formulas seem to be on the right track. However, it would be helpful to provide more context and information about the problem to confirm the accuracy of the answers. Also, it is always a good idea to double-check your formulas and calculations to ensure they are correct.

FAQ: Counting Ways to Place Flags on Poles

1. How many ways can I place 2 flags on 2 poles?

There are 4 possible ways to place 2 flags on 2 poles. This can be calculated by multiplying the number of poles (2) by the number of flags (2) and then adding 1 for each additional flag.

2. Is there a formula for calculating the number of ways to place flags on poles?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the number of ways to place flags on poles. It is N+1, where N is the number of poles. This formula works for any number of poles and flags.

3. Can I place any number of flags on any number of poles?

Yes, you can place any number of flags on any number of poles. The formula for calculating the number of ways to place flags on poles works for any number of poles and flags.

4. How many ways can I place 3 flags on 4 poles?

There are 16 possible ways to place 3 flags on 4 poles. This can be calculated by multiplying the number of poles (4) by the number of flags (3) and then adding 1 for each additional flag.

5. Is there a limit to the number of flags I can place on poles?

No, there is no limit to the number of flags you can place on poles. As long as you follow the formula for calculating the number of ways to place flags on poles, you can place as many flags as you want on as many poles as you want.