Coupled ODEs in Electromagnetism

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the particular solution for a driven oscillator.
Astrum

Homework Statement

Solve the equations of motion ##\ddot{y}= \omega \dot{z}## and ##\ddot{z}= \omega (\frac{E}{B}-\dot{y})##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Integrate the first equation to get ##\dot{y}=\omega z + c_1## and plug into equation 2: ##\ddot{z}=\omega (\frac{E}{B}-\omega z + c_1## simplify ##\ddot{z}= \omega \frac{E}{B} - \omega ^2 z + \omega c_1## and integrating again leaves ##\dot{z}= \omega \frac{E}{B}t - \omega ^2 zt + c_1 t +c_2##

The next step is where everything seems to go off the rails. second integration of ##\dot{y}## gives ##\omega z t + c_1 t + c_3 = y(t)## and the second integral of ##\dot{z}## gives ##\omega \frac{E}{B}t-\omega ^2 z t + \omega c_1 t + \omega c_4##

The solution the worked example gives are $$ y(t) = c_1 cos(\omega t) + c_2 sin(\omega t) + (E/Bt + c_3$$ and $$z(t) = c_2 cos(\omega t) - c_1 sin(\omega t) + c_4$$

Where did the trig functions come from?!

Physics news on Phys.org
You started off right. ##\dot{y} = \omega z + c_1## so ##\ddot{z} + \omega^{2} z - \omega(\frac{E}{B} + c_{1}) = 0##. The next step is where you messed up (you forgot that ##z = z(t)##). This is the equation for a driven oscillator. What's the solution for such an equation?

Likes 1 person
Alright, so after doing some more reading, I'm still stuck.

The general solution for a dampened oscillator of the form ##\ddot{z}+2 \beta \dot{x} + \omega ^2 x = f(t)## is ##Ae^{- \beta t}(C_1 e ^{\sqrt{ \beta ^2 - \omega ^2}}+C_2 e ^{-\sqrt{ \beta ^2 - \omega ^2}})##. If I understood correctly, the solution for a driven oscillator will be this expression PLUS the "particular" solution.

In this case we have ##\ddot{z}-\omega ^2 z = \omega (E/B) + C_1 \omega## the solution, if this were a non-driven system, would be ##C_1 cos( \omega t) - C_2 sin(\omega t)##, but I know there needs to be a constant added here, I just don't know where it came from.

Yeah, still confused by the extra force term. There is no damping force, only the natural frequency plus the driving force.

Last edited:
If the driving force is constant you can find the particular solution by setting ##\ddot{z}=0##.

ehild

There are some typos in your post. I correct them.
Astrum said:
The general solution for a dampened oscillator of the form ##\ddot{z}+2 \beta \dot{z} + \omega ^2 z= 0## is ##Ae^{- \beta t}(C_1 e ^{\sqrt{ \beta ^2 - \omega ^2}t}+C_2 e ^{-\sqrt{ \beta ^2 - \omega ^2}t})##. If I understood correctly, the solution for a driven oscillator will be this expression PLUS the "particular" solution.

For a particular solution, see the attachment in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=641578, #17

ehild

Why would I set ##\ddot{z} = 0##? And even if I did, that gives ##\omega ^2 z = \omega (E/B) + C_1 \omega \rightarrow E/(\omega B) + C_1 / \omega ##

Astrum said:
Why would I set ##\ddot{z} = 0##? And even if I did, that gives ##\omega ^2 z = \omega (E/B) + C_1 \omega \rightarrow E/(\omega B) + C_1 / \omega ##

That means z=const is a particular solution with the constant E/(ωB)+C1/ω. Check.

The general solution of the equation ##\ddot{z}-\omega ^2 z = \omega (E/B) + C_1 \omega## is

##z=C_2\cos(ωt)+C_3\sin(ωt)+\frac{E}{ωB}+\frac{C_1}{ω}##

ehild

Related to Coupled ODEs in Electromagnetism

1. What are coupled ODEs and how are they applied to electromagnetism?

Coupled ODEs, or coupled ordinary differential equations, refer to a system of multiple differential equations that are connected and depend on each other. In the context of electromagnetism, coupled ODEs are used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields, such as electric and magnetic fields, by considering their interdependence and interactions.

2. What physical phenomena can be described using coupled ODEs in electromagnetism?

Coupled ODEs can be used to describe a wide range of physical phenomena in electromagnetism, such as the propagation of electromagnetic waves, the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in materials, and the interactions between electric charges and magnetic fields.

3. How are coupled ODEs solved in the context of electromagnetism?

There are various methods for solving coupled ODEs in electromagnetism, including numerical methods like the finite difference method or the finite element method, as well as analytical techniques like separation of variables or Laplace transforms.

4. What are some practical applications of coupled ODEs in electromagnetism?

Coupled ODEs have numerous practical applications in electromagnetism, such as in designing and analyzing electromagnetic devices like motors and generators, predicting the behavior of electromagnetic fields in antennas and transmission lines, and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different environments.

5. What are some challenges in using coupled ODEs to model electromagnetism?

One of the main challenges in using coupled ODEs to model electromagnetism is the complexity of the equations and the need for numerical techniques to solve them. Additionally, accurately modeling real-world scenarios may require considering additional factors, such as non-linearities or boundary conditions, which can make the equations more difficult to solve.