Covariance/Independence Proof Help

• Thread starter jimbodonut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: Notice that the (x_bar-μ)^2 terms cancel out, leaving us with:f(x,y) = (1/σ√(2π))^(n+1) * e^((-1/2σ^2)(x_bar^2 + y^2))This is not equal to the product of the individual PDFs, and therefore we cannot say that X_bar and Xi-X_bar are independent. However, if we use the formula for covariance that you have already derived, we can simplify the joint PDF to:f(x,y) = (1/σ√(2π))^(n+1) * e^((-1/2σ^
jimbodonut

Homework Statement

Suppose {X1,X2, ...,Xn} is an iid (independent, identically distributed) sample from N(μ, σ^2). Show that Cov(X_bar, Xi − X_bar ) = 0 for all i, and hence conclude that X_bar is independent of Xi − X_bar for every i.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

cov(X_bar ̅,Xi-X_bar)
=cov(X_bar ̅,X_i ) - cov(X_bar ̅,X _bar )
=cov((1/n)*∑Xj ,Xi ) - cov((1/n) ∑Xi, (1/n) ∑Xj)
=∑(1/n) cov(Xj,Xi ) - ∑∑(1/n)^2 cov(Xi,Xj )
=(n/n)*σ^2 - (n/n)^2*σ^2
=σ^2 - σ^2=0

not sure if what I am doing is right, and i don't see how showing Cov( X_bar,Xi − X_bar ) = 0 for all i can help to arrive at the suggested conclusion.

Thanks for ur help guys... :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is correct and you have arrived at the correct conclusion. Let me explain why showing Cov(X_bar, Xi-X_bar) = 0 for all i leads to the conclusion that X_bar is independent of Xi-X_bar for every i.

First, let's recall the definition of covariance: Cov(X,Y) = E[(X-E[X])(Y-E[Y])]. In this case, we have X = X_bar and Y = Xi-X_bar. So, Cov(X_bar,Xi-X_bar) = E[(X_bar-E[X_bar])(Xi-X_bar-E[Xi-X_bar])].

Now, we know that X_bar and Xi-X_bar are both random variables, but they are also functions of the same sample {X1,X2,...,Xn}. This means that they are dependent on each other, and their values will change together as the sample changes. However, the formula for covariance shows that if X and Y are independent, then Cov(X,Y) = 0. So, if we can show that X_bar and Xi-X_bar are independent, then we can conclude that Cov(X_bar,Xi-X_bar) = 0 for all i.

To show that X_bar and Xi-X_bar are independent, we need to show that their joint probability distribution can be written as the product of their individual probability distributions. In other words, P(X_bar = x, Xi-X_bar = y) = P(X_bar = x)P(Xi-X_bar = y) for all x and y. This is equivalent to showing that the joint probability density function (PDF) can be written as the product of the individual PDFs.

Using the definition of X_bar and the fact that the sample is iid, we can write the joint PDF of X_bar and Xi-X_bar as:

f(x,y) = fbar(x)fXi-X_bar(y) = (1/σ√(2π))^(n+1) * e^((-1/2σ^2)(∑(xj-μ)^2 + (yi-x_bar)^2))

where fbar(x) and fXi-X_bar(y) are the individual PDFs of X_bar and Xi-X_bar, respectively. Now, if we try to factor this joint PDF, we get:

f(x,y) = (1/σ√(2π))^(n+1) * e^((-1/2σ^2)((x_bar

FAQ: Covariance/Independence Proof Help

1. What is covariance?

Covariance is a measure of how two variables change together. It measures the direction and strength of the relationship between two variables.

2. How is covariance calculated?

Covariance is calculated by taking the product of the differences between each variable and their respective means, and then dividing by the total number of observations.

3. What does a positive or negative covariance indicate?

A positive covariance indicates that the two variables have a direct relationship, meaning that when one variable increases, the other tends to increase as well. A negative covariance indicates an inverse relationship, meaning that when one variable increases, the other tends to decrease.

4. What is independence in a covariance/dependence proof?

Independence refers to the lack of a relationship between two variables. In a covariance/dependence proof, it is important to show that the variables being examined are independent, meaning that they do not have a significant relationship with each other.

5. How is independence proven in a covariance/dependence proof?

Independence can be proven by showing that the covariance between the two variables is equal to zero. This indicates that there is no relationship between the variables and they are independent of each other.