Covariant derivative of covector

In summary, the conversation discussed the covariant derivative of a covector and its relationship to the partial derivative of a scalar. The Leibniz rule was mentioned, and the conversation concluded with a proof of the final form of the covariant derivative. The last term was shown to be equivalent to a different notation, and this was attributed to the fact that the formula holds for all vector-field components.
PhyAmateur
I was trying to see what is the covariant derivative of a covector. I started with

$$ \nabla_\mu (U_\nu V^\nu) = \partial_\mu (U_\nu V^\nu) = (\partial_\mu U\nu) V^\nu + U_\nu (\partial_\mu V^\nu) $$ since the covariant derivative of a scalar is the partial derivative of the latter.

Then I know $$ \nabla_\mu (U_\nu V^\nu) = \nabla_\mu (U_\nu) V^\nu +U_\nu \nabla_\mu V^\nu$$ according to Leibniz rule.

Setting them equal to each other I get $$ \nabla_\mu (U_\nu) V^\nu = (\partial_\mu U\nu) V^\nu - U_\nu (\Gamma ^\nu _{\mu\lambda} V^\lambda) $$

Can this last term be equally written as $$U_\lambda(\Gamma ^\lambda _{\mu\nu} V^\nu)$$?? Because the proof was to get finally this form: $$ \nabla_\mu U_\nu = \partial_\mu U_\nu - \Gamma^\lambda_{\mu\nu}U_\lambda $$ I just got stuck at the last part. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhyAmateur said:
Setting them equal to each other I get $$ \nabla_\mu (U_\nu) V^\nu = (\partial_\mu U\nu) V^\nu - U_\nu (\Gamma ^\nu _{\mu\lambda} V^\lambda) $$

Can this last term be equally written as $$U_\lambda(\Gamma ^\lambda _{\mu\nu} V^\nu)$$??
Yes, because both notations mean exactly the same thing. Compare this to the slightly simpler result ##\sum_{n=1}^2 x_n=x_1+x_2=\sum_{k=1}^2 x_k##.

Likes PhyAmateur
Thank you for replying to the thread. I didn't quite get the comparison you were pointing at. Is there some concrete property that allows us to do so?

In your formula [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\nu[/itex] are both indices that are summed over, often called "dummy indices". So you can just rename them as you please. Then you use the fact that your formula holds for all vector-field components [itex]V^{\nu}[/itex], and thus you get the covariant derivative for the co-vector field as you wrote in the final step.

Last edited:
Likes PhyAmateur
Thank you, that was exactly what I wanted to make sure of.

PhyAmateur said:
Thank you for replying to the thread. I didn't quite get the comparison you were pointing at. Is there some concrete property that allows us to do so?
It follows immediately from the definition of the notation. ##U_\nu \Gamma ^\nu _{\mu\lambda} V^\lambda## is a sum of 16 terms that don't contain either of the indices ##\nu## or ##\lambda##.
$$ U_\nu \Gamma ^\nu _{\mu\lambda} V^\lambda =U_0\Gamma^0_{\mu 0} V^0+U_1 \Gamma^1_{\mu 0} V^0+\cdots+U_3 \Gamma^3_{\mu 2} V^2+U_3 \Gamma^3_{\mu 3} V^3.$$ I illustrated this idea with an example with 2 terms instead of 16, because it's a pain to type 16 terms.

Related to Covariant derivative of covector

What is a covariant derivative of a covector?

A covariant derivative of a covector is a mathematical operation used to describe how a vector field changes as it moves along a curved surface or manifold. It takes into account the curvature of the surface and allows for the comparison of vectors at different points on the surface.

How is a covariant derivative of a covector different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative is used to calculate how a function changes at a given point, while a covariant derivative of a covector is used to calculate how a vector field changes as it moves along a curved surface. The covariant derivative takes into account the curvature of the surface, while the regular derivative does not.

What is the formula for calculating a covariant derivative of a covector?

The formula for calculating a covariant derivative of a covector involves using the Christoffel symbols, which represent the curvature of the surface, and the partial derivative of the covector with respect to the coordinate system. It can be written as:
vω = (∂ω/∂ui)dui/dxv + ωiΓvijdui/dxj

What are some applications of covariant derivatives of covectors?

Covariant derivatives of covectors are used in many areas of physics and mathematics, including general relativity, differential geometry, and fluid mechanics. They are particularly useful in describing the behavior of objects on curved surfaces, such as planets orbiting a curved spacetime in general relativity.

Can covariant derivatives of covectors be calculated for any type of surface?

Yes, covariant derivatives of covectors can be calculated for any type of surface, including curved surfaces, flat surfaces, and even higher-dimensional manifolds. The formula for calculating the covariant derivative may change depending on the surface's curvature, but the concept remains the same.