Crack the Code: A Puzzle Challenge!

• MHB
  • Thread starter Farmtalk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Puzzle
In summary, a man shared a puzzle on his website with five clues to figure out a code to his work building. The clues involved various mathematical relationships between the five numbers, with a final sum of 30. The correct answer was successfully guessed by someone.
Farmtalk
I posted this on my website a couple days ago. I like puzzles a lot, so I figured I would share it here and see how many people could figure it out; enjoy!;)
A man wanted to get into his work building, but he had forgotten his code. However, he did remember five clues. These are what those clues were:

The fifth number plus the third number equals fourteen.

The fourth number is one more than the second number.

The first number is one less than twice the second number.

The second number plus the third number equals ten.

The sum of all five numbers is 30.

What were the five numbers and in what order?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, Farmtalk!

A man wanted to get into his work building, but he had forgotten his code.
However, he did remember five clues. These are what those clues were:

[1] The fifth number plus the third number equals fourteen.

[2] The fourth number is one more than the second number.

[3] The first number is one less than twice the second number.

[4] The second number plus the third number equals ten.

[5] The sum of all five numbers is 30.

What were the five numbers and in what order?

Let [tex]a,b,c,d,e[/tex] . . be the five numbers, in that order.We are given:

. . [tex][1] \;e+c \,=\,14[/tex]

. . [tex][2]\;d \,=\,b+1[/tex]

. . [tex][3]\;a \,=\,2b-1[/tex]

. . [tex][4]\;b+c \:=\:10[/tex]

. . [tex][5]\;a+b+c+d+e \,=\,30[/tex]From [5], we have: .[tex]a + b + d + (e+c) \:=\:30[/tex]

Since [tex]e+c\,=\,14[/tex] . , we have: .[tex]a+b+d+14 \:=\:30[/tex]
. . Hence: .[tex]a+b+d \:=\:16 [/tex]

Substitute [3] and [2]: .[tex](2b-1) + b+ (b+1) \:=\:16[/tex]

. . [tex]4b \:=\:16 \quad\Rightarrow\quad b \,=\,4[/tex]Substitute into [3]: .[tex]a \:=\:2b-1 \quad\Rightarrow\quad a \,=\,7[/tex]

Substitute into [4]: .[tex]c \:=\:10-b \quad\Rightarrow\quad c \,=\,6[/tex]

Substitute into [2]: .[tex]d \:=\:b+1 \quad\Rightarrow\quad d \,=\,5[/tex]

Substitute into [3]: .[tex]e \:=\:14-c \quad\Rightarrow\quad e \,=\,8[/tex]Therefore, the code is [tex]74658.[/tex]

That's the number I got! CORRECT! ;)

Related to Crack the Code: A Puzzle Challenge!

1. How do I solve the secret code puzzle?

To solve the secret code puzzle, you will need to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Start by analyzing the clues and information given in the puzzle and try to identify any patterns or connections. Use trial and error to test different combinations until you find the correct solution.

2. What strategies can I use to solve the secret code puzzle?

There are several strategies you can use to solve the secret code puzzle. Some common techniques include process of elimination, using logic and deduction, and breaking the code into smaller sections. You can also try using a code-breaking tool or software if available.

3. How long does it typically take to solve a secret code puzzle?

The time it takes to solve a secret code puzzle can vary depending on the complexity of the puzzle and the individual's problem-solving abilities. Some puzzles may be solved in minutes, while others may take hours or even days to crack.

4. Are there any tips for beginners to solve secret code puzzles?

For beginners, it can be helpful to start with simpler code puzzles and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. Take your time to carefully analyze the clues and try different combinations. It may also be useful to research common code-breaking techniques and practice with easier puzzles before attempting more challenging ones.

5. Can secret code puzzles have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for secret code puzzles to have multiple solutions. This can happen if the puzzle has vague or incomplete clues, allowing for more than one possible interpretation. It is important to carefully consider all information given in the puzzle and use logic to determine the most likely solution.