Creating a .0500 M HCl Calculation Help

In summary, a student needs to prepare a .0500 M solution of hydrochloric acid with only a .5000 M solution available. They must use the equation M1 x V1 = M2 x V2 to calculate how much of the concentrated solution to pipette if 400 mL of dilute solution is required and a 500 mL volumetric flask is the only one available. This question is a brain teaser rather than a difficult calculation. It is recommended to ask homework questions in the appropriate forum.
Bashyboy
Hi, I have a problem regarding a lab question. It goes as follows:

A student required .0500 M solution of hydrochloric acid, HCl, and has on hand a .5000 M solution. Calculate how much more of the concentrated solution, in mL units, must be pipetted if 400 mL of dilute solution are required, and a 500 mL volumetric flask is the only one available.

Am I simply to use the M1 x V1 = M2 x V2 equation?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Am I simply to use the M1 x V1 = M2 x V2 equation?

It will do. Beware - question is tricky. Not in terms of difficult calculations, more like a brain teaser.

Please ask HW and HW type questions in homework & coursework forums.

The student "requires" 400 ml. of the resulting dilute solution, but because he only has a 500 ml. volumetric flask, he may choose to prepare 500 ml. of the dilute solution.

Thank you both. And I am sorry; I didn't know there was a separate form for homework questions, thank you for letting me know.

for reaching out with your question. Yes, you are correct in using the M1V1 = M2V2 equation to solve this problem. Here is the breakdown of the calculation:

M1 = initial concentration of HCl solution (0.5000 M)
V1 = volume of initial solution to be used (unknown)
M2 = final concentration of HCl solution (0.0500 M)
V2 = total volume of final solution (400 mL + V1)

Using the equation, we can rearrange it to solve for V1:

V1 = (M2V2 - M1V1)/M1

Plugging in the given values, we get:

V1 = (0.0500 M)(500 mL) - (0.5000 M)(400 mL)/0.5000 M

Solving for V1, we get:

V1 = 40 mL

Therefore, the student will need to pipette an additional 40 mL of the concentrated solution into the 400 mL of dilute solution to achieve a final concentration of 0.0500 M. Keep in mind that this calculation assumes ideal conditions, so it is always important to double check your results and make any necessary adjustments in the lab. I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

Related to Creating a .0500 M HCl Calculation Help

1. How do I calculate the amount of HCl needed to create a .0500 M solution?

To calculate the amount of HCl needed, you can use the formula: moles = concentration (M) x volume (L). First, determine the volume of the solution you want to make. Then, multiply the volume by the desired concentration to get the number of moles of HCl needed. Finally, convert the moles to grams using the molar mass of HCl (36.46 g/mol).

2. What is the molarity of a .0500 M HCl solution?

The molarity (M) of a solution is defined as the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. Therefore, a .0500 M HCl solution contains 0.0500 moles of HCl per liter of solution.

3. How do I prepare a .0500 M HCl solution from a concentrated HCl solution?

To prepare a .0500 M solution from a concentrated HCl solution, you will need to dilute the concentrated solution with water. Use the formula: C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume. Plug in the values you know and solve for the final volume (V2). Then, add the appropriate volume of water to the concentrated solution to reach the final volume.

4. What safety precautions should I take when working with concentrated HCl?

Concentrated HCl is a corrosive and toxic chemical, so it is important to handle it with caution. Always wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when working with concentrated HCl. Additionally, work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. In case of skin or eye contact, immediately flush the affected area with water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical attention.

5. How do I check the accuracy of my .0500 M HCl solution?

To check the accuracy of your solution, you can use a titration method. This involves adding a known amount of a base (such as sodium hydroxide) to a measured volume of your HCl solution until the reaction is complete. The amount of base used can then be used to calculate the actual concentration of the HCl solution. Alternatively, you can use a pH meter to measure the pH of the solution, as a .0500 M HCl solution should have a pH of approximately 1.