Creating a Basic Steer by Wire System in Simulink Matlab

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter wan_234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System Wire
In summary: This is your school project, and at the PF we are not allowed to do your schoolwork for you. We can answer specific questions and provide hints, but you must do the bulk of the work on your school projects.
wan_234
hello, i am a final year student doing electronics engineering. For my final year report i made the
mistake of choosing steer by wire as a project which i really can't handle. However, i am expected just to touch the subject just on the surface. It really is a very hard topic for my level.

I am also expected to show some results as instructed by my lecturer. what i am inquiring is that is possible for me to just make a basic steer by wire system on simulink matlab? i just want to show a basic system and not so complicated. its just that sort of turning wheel left and right and it will show on the graph. i don't even want to take into account speed/friction etc

it sorry if i sound like a noob. i really am. thank you for taking your time reading this

Physics news on Phys.org
wan_234 said:
hello, i am a final year student doing electronics engineering. For my final year report i made the
mistake of choosing steer by wire as a project which i really can't handle. However, i am expected just to touch the subject just on the surface. It really is a very hard topic for my level.

I am also expected to show some results as instructed by my lecturer. what i am inquiring is that is possible for me to just make a basic steer by wire system on simulink matlab? i just want to show a basic system and not so complicated. its just that sort of turning wheel left and right and it will show on the graph. i don't even want to take into account speed/friction etc

it sorry if i sound like a noob. i really am. thank you for taking your time reading this

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like a fun project. What research and reading have you done so far? You can also read about Fly By Wire systems, which will have many of the same elements in them.

Show us what you have so far...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like a fun project. What research and reading have you done so far? You can also read about Fly By Wire systems, which will have many of the same elements in them.

Show us what you have so far...

hello sir, thank you for your reply. what i have got so far are just the literature review, advantages/disadvantages of the system and applications. basically just words. what i need to put in are some results/simulations/graphs which are my own. this is where i am stuck at. i have also read about fly by wire but it is somewhat further than i intend to go.

my main reference is now :Paul Yih's Dissertation on Steer by Wire from Stanford University.

I am really in over my head on this one. any sort of help from anyone will do. Thank you so much

if its possible for anyone to guide me on making the simulation on simulink it would really be awesome. i have squeezed through google like anything and still am here

wan_234 said:
hello sir, thank you for your reply. what i have got so far are just the literature review, advantages/disadvantages of the system and applications. basically just words. what i need to put in are some results/simulations/graphs which are my own. this is where i am stuck at. i have also read about fly by wire but it is somewhat further than i intend to go.

my main reference is now :Paul Yih's Dissertation on Steer by Wire from Stanford University.

I am really in over my head on this one. any sort of help from anyone will do. Thank you so much

wan_234 said:
if its possible for anyone to guide me on making the simulation on simulink it would really be awesome. i have squeezed through google like anything and still am here

This is your school project, and at the PF we are not allowed to do your schoolwork for you. We can answer specific questions and provide hints, but you must do the bulk of the work on your school projects.

What does your block diagram look like so far? How are reliability and redundancy addressed? Since you are final year in electronics, what microcontrollers have you worked with? It might be easier to prototype the project using C code on a microcontroller to control the steering servos...

Related to Creating a Basic Steer by Wire System in Simulink Matlab

1. What is a steer by wire system?

A steer by wire system is a technology that replaces the traditional mechanical steering system in a vehicle with an electronic system. It uses sensors, actuators, and controllers to interpret the driver's steering inputs and steer the vehicle accordingly.

2. How does a steer by wire system work?

A steer by wire system works by using a combination of sensors, such as a steering angle sensor and a torque sensor, to detect the driver's steering inputs. These inputs are then sent to a controller, which calculates the appropriate steering angle for the wheels. Finally, the controller sends signals to the actuators, which physically steer the wheels of the vehicle.

3. What are the benefits of a steer by wire system?

Some benefits of a steer by wire system include improved vehicle handling and responsiveness, reduced weight and complexity of the steering system, and the potential for advanced safety features such as lane keeping assist and automated parking.

4. How can Simulink Matlab be used to create a basic steer by wire system?

Simulink Matlab is a popular software tool used for modeling and simulating dynamic systems. It can be used to design and test a basic steer by wire system by creating a model that simulates the interaction between the sensors, controller, and actuators. This allows for virtual testing and optimization before implementing the system in a physical vehicle.

5. What are some challenges in creating a basic steer by wire system in Simulink Matlab?

Some challenges in creating a basic steer by wire system in Simulink Matlab may include accurately modeling the behavior of the vehicle, ensuring the sensors and actuators are properly calibrated and integrated with the controller, and testing and validating the system to ensure it meets safety and performance requirements. Additionally, the complexity of the system may make it challenging to troubleshoot and debug any issues that arise during development.