Creating a simple DC power supply.

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a simple DC power supply with three outputs and the possibility of using multiple outputs simultaneously without affecting each other. The individual asking the question has already completed most of the design and is wondering if it is possible to have multiple outputs in use at the same time. They have noticed that most commercially made power supplies only allow for one output to be used at a time and are questioning if this is unavoidable or impractical. It is also mentioned that the power supply is for a circuit analysis class, possibly for SMPS DC/DC converters.
tarmon.gaidon

Homework Statement

In one of my labs for a circuit analysis class we are told to design a simple DC power supply. The power supply will have three outputs, +4.5V, -4.5V, and an adjustable output from 0-11V. I have already done most of this and the question I have is could you design this so that multiple outputs could be used at the same time and not affect the others.

Here is the basis of our power supply:
untitled.jpg

Where our outputs are connected to the load branch coming of the diodes.

The way I have mine now works fine as long as you only use one of the outputs. I have noticed most of the power supplies I have used have multiple outputs but only one can be used at a time. Is this really unavoidable or unpractical?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never come across a power supply (commercially made) that could only use one of many outputs at once.

What sort of circuit analysis class are you doing this for, SMPS DC/DC converters perchance? A 'simple DC power supply' is probably relative to your current studies.

Related to Creating a simple DC power supply.

1. What is a DC power supply?

A DC power supply is an electrical device that converts AC (alternating current) into DC (direct current) to power electronic devices.

2. What are the basic components of a simple DC power supply?

A simple DC power supply typically consists of a transformer, rectifier, filter, and voltage regulator.

3. How does a DC power supply work?

The transformer converts the incoming AC voltage to a lower or higher voltage, depending on the desired output. The rectifier then converts the AC to DC, and the filter removes any remaining AC ripple. Finally, the voltage regulator regulates the output voltage to the desired level.

4. What are the advantages of using a DC power supply?

DC power supplies provide a constant output voltage, which is necessary for many electronic devices to function properly. They are also more efficient and reliable than batteries.

5. Can I build my own DC power supply?

Yes, it is possible to build a simple DC power supply using basic electronic components and a good understanding of circuitry. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and consult reliable resources for guidance.