Creating a Thesis Report with LaTeX: Problems & Solutions

In summary: So if you want to change the font, you'll need to learn how to do it in LaTeX, rather than using a program like Adobe InDesign or QuarkXPress. In summary, you are having problems with LaTeX and want help. The first problem is that you want to use a different font style, but the font does not exist in the Verdana font. The second problem is that you have two chapters that you do not want to be listed under the Table of Contents. The first solution is to change the font, and the second solution is to learn how to change the font in LaTeX.
bhaazee
Hello PF,
I am writing my Thesis Report with Latex. Facing a couple of problems.

1. I want to create my report in verdana font. However, the warning states

LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape 'T1/verdana/m/n' undefined
(Font) using 'T1/cmr/m/n' instead

2. After trying various procedures on Nomenclature, finally had to create the Nomenclature in Tabular option. The heading of nomenclature has been written using \chapter command. This is same for Abbreviations. Now, I don't need these two chapters to be listed under Table of Contents

Please give me some suggestions

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
bhaazee said:
LaTeX Font Warning: Font Shape 'T1/verdana/m/n' undefined
(Font) using 'T1/cmr/m/n' instead
You are trying to use some combination of font styles (like bold + italic) that doesn't exist in the Verdana font, so LaTeX substituted the default Computer Modern Roman (cmr) font instead.

If you look in the .log file, you will probably see numbers like like [1] [2] [3] which are printed at the end of producing each page of the document. So you can find out which page contains the substituted characters, and then decide what to do about it.

The heading of nomenclature has been written using \chapter command. This is same for Abbreviations. Now, I don't need these two chapters to be listed under Table of Contents

Try changing \chapter to \chapter* .

Thnx for the reply.

But could you please say me where can I find the log file (completely new to latex)

Also, how can I change the font of the text in a particular paragraph?

Regards

If I may give a tiny tip: don't worry about fonts and layoutsy stuff right now. Of course, you should divide the LaTeX file into chapters and sections, and make sure all of it works, but choosing a font you like is something you can do when you're finishing writing your thesis. It's just not important in the beginning (because the default layout tends to work just fine), and tends to distract you from actually being productive. Your experience may vary. :wink:

When you run a file like xyz.tex through LaTeX, it should create the log file xyz.log in the same directory.

For working with fonts in LaTex, see http://tug.org/pracjourn/2006-1/schmidt/schmidt.pdf.

Presumably you selected the Verdana font with a command similar to \usepackage(verdana). That package should define compatible-looking sans-serif and "typewriter" fonts, and set up the commands \rmfamily etc described in the PDF so they work.

This is a completely different "font culture" to the way WYSIWYG software works. Not necessarily better or worse - just completely different!

FAQ: Creating a Thesis Report with LaTeX: Problems & Solutions

1. What is LaTeX and why is it preferred for creating thesis reports?

LaTeX is a typesetting system commonly used for creating documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, computer science, and engineering. It allows for precise and professional-looking formatting and is preferred for thesis reports due to its ability to handle large and complex documents with ease.

2. What are some common problems that may arise while creating a thesis report with LaTeX?

Some common problems include formatting errors, missing references or citations, and issues with figures or tables. These can often be resolved by carefully checking the code and troubleshooting specific errors.

3. How can I ensure that my thesis report is well-organized and visually appealing in LaTeX?

One way to ensure organization is to use appropriate sectioning commands and to maintain a consistent structure throughout the document. To make the document visually appealing, it is important to use appropriate fonts, spacing, and formatting options, as well as to include high-quality figures and tables.

4. Can I use LaTeX to collaborate with others on my thesis report?

Yes, LaTeX allows for easy collaboration through its version control system and the ability to merge changes made by multiple users. Additionally, documents can be easily shared and edited by multiple users using online platforms such as Overleaf.

5. Are there any resources available for troubleshooting issues with LaTeX?

Yes, there are many online resources, including forums and tutorials, that can help with troubleshooting common issues in LaTeX. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer LaTeX workshops or support for students and researchers.