Creating and Loading .dat and .ext Data Files in MATLAB"

In summary, the purpose of creating and loading .dat and .ext data files in MATLAB is to store and access data in a structured format for easier manipulation and analysis within the program. .dat files are plain text files that are easily readable and editable by humans, while .ext files are more efficient for storing and accessing large amounts of data. To create a data file, the "save" function can be used, and to load a data file, the "load" function is used. However, there are limitations to creating and loading these files, such as file size limitations and compatibility issues between different versions of MATLAB. It is important to ensure compatibility before attempting to load a data file.
cpv
we can call data file using 'load' command. I have created data file using notepad. which I can only save it with .ext extension, not dat.

where to create .dat files? and how can I load .ext or .dat files? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Notepad will be saving as plain (ASCII) text. If the Matlab .dat format is also text, simply change the .ext (.txt?) extension to .dat in Windows Explorer. OK any warning Windows gives on the change.

More info on data files is available here:
http://www.mathworks.co.uk/help/matlab/import_export/supported-file-formats.html

Related to Creating and Loading .dat and .ext Data Files in MATLAB"

What is the purpose of creating and loading .dat and .ext data files in MATLAB?

The purpose of creating and loading .dat and .ext data files in MATLAB is to store and access data in a structured format for use in MATLAB. This allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the data within the program.

What is the difference between .dat and .ext data files?

.dat files are plain text files that can be easily read and edited by humans, while .ext files are binary files that are more efficient for storing and accessing large amounts of data in MATLAB.

How do I create a .dat or .ext data file in MATLAB?

To create a .dat or .ext data file in MATLAB, you can use the "save" function. This function takes in the data you want to save, along with the desired file name and extension, and creates the file in the current directory.

How do I load a .dat or .ext data file in MATLAB?

To load a .dat or .ext data file in MATLAB, you can use the "load" function. This function takes in the file name and extension of the data file you want to load, and assigns the data to a variable in your MATLAB workspace.

Are there any limitations to creating and loading .dat and .ext data files in MATLAB?

Yes, there are some limitations to creating and loading .dat and .ext data files in MATLAB. These include file size limitations, as well as compatibility issues between different versions of MATLAB. It is important to ensure that your data file is compatible with your version of MATLAB before attempting to load it.