Creating electromagnets questions

In summary, the conversation is about a computer science graduate who is now interested in robotics and has questions about electromagnets and where to find equations for their strength. They also ask for book recommendations for refreshing their physics knowledge. Links are provided for helpful websites and the suggestion of the book "Classical Mechanics" is given.
Lefteris
Hello all,

I am a computer science graduate who has gotten involved in robotics a lot lately. I am finding myself getting more and more mechanical/physics related questions in my mind, such as this one.

The question is: I know how to create an electromagnet by wrapping a big wire around a metal many times and then letting current flow through. What I do not know is where can I find the equations which determine the strength of the magnetic field and what it depends on? Like ... is it the current, the number of turns the coil has?, the size/type of the metal? All of the above?

Another question is: Apart from the occasional internet search and my high school physics knowledge is there any book you could advice which I should read in order to refresh on many physics concepts since they seem to pop up more and more in my every day life?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much for your reply and for your links.

One last question. Since as I said above I find myself needing more and more physics would you or any other person in here have a good book in physics , (starting from classical physics offcourse) to suggest?

I read the special forum of this site dedicated on Physics books and one book : Classical Mechanics keeps coming up. But I would just like some additional advice if possible of course before I go off actually buying a book.

FAQ: Creating electromagnets questions

1. How do I create an electromagnet?

To create an electromagnet, you will need a battery, copper wire, and a nail or iron rod. Begin by wrapping the wire around the nail or rod multiple times, leaving a few inches of wire on both ends. Connect one end of the wire to the positive terminal of the battery and the other end to the negative terminal. The flow of electricity through the wire will create a magnetic field, turning the nail or rod into an electromagnet.

2. What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet is affected by the number of coils in the wire, the type of core material used, and the amount of current flowing through the wire. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger electromagnet.

3. How can I increase the magnetic field of an electromagnet?

The magnetic field of an electromagnet can be increased by increasing the number of coils in the wire, using a core material with high magnetic permeability, and increasing the amount of current flowing through the wire. Another way to increase the magnetic field is by winding the wire into a tighter and more compact coil.

4. Can I control the strength of an electromagnet?

Yes, the strength of an electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire. Using a variable power supply or a rheostat can help regulate the amount of current and therefore the strength of the electromagnet.

5. What are some practical applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have a wide range of practical applications, including use in motors, generators, speakers, hard drives, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in medical devices such as MRI machines and in industrial settings for lifting and moving heavy objects.

Back