Creating LaTeX Formulas for PowerPoint Presentations

In summary, there are several options for creating formulas for PowerPoint presentations. One option is to use PDFLaTeX, which allows for the use of gnuplot and exporting capabilities. Another option is to use tex2gif, a free program that converts LaTeX to image files. Additionally, the prosper package for LaTeX is recommended for creating slide shows with advanced features. Other alternatives include slitex and its derivatives, which can be used instead of PowerPoint.
Lonewolf
I have to give a presentation and would really like some decent looking formulas to put in PowerPoint. Anybody know if it's possible to get LaTeX to output an image file? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try PDFLaTeX. I know that you can use gnuplot to do LaTeX then export.

You could also do your formulas on PF, then take a screen shot and incorporate it into your powerpoint presentation.

[tex]\phi[/tex]

The Rev

There's a free program called tex2gif (you should be able to google it) which I've never used but seems to do what you want.

If I may I'd like to offer an alternative. Have you checked out the prosper package for latex? It is a latex package designed for making slide shows. When you're done it just outputs a pdf but it is pretty cool the stuff you can do with it. It may not have all the frills of powerpoint but you can make slides appear part way at a time, or have parts change. Any time I'm doing a talk these days and I need slides I do it with prosper. It's really nice just doing everything in latex instead of mixing and mathching.

I found text2gif online, so that should be ok. The presentation's already written apart from the formulas, but I'll definitely give prosper a go next time. Got plenty more presentations to practice on. Thanks for the tips!

you may also benefit from slitex and its derivatives. (who'd ever use power point?)

I know what you mean, preparing the slides on it was awful, and the effort it took doesn't reflect the quality of presentation. Oh well, we live and learn I suppose.

FAQ: Creating LaTeX Formulas for PowerPoint Presentations

1. How do I create LaTeX formulas for PowerPoint presentations?

To create LaTeX formulas for PowerPoint presentations, you can use a plugin or add-in that allows you to directly insert LaTeX code into your slides. Some popular options include MathType, LaTeX for PowerPoint, and Texpoint. You can also create your formulas in a LaTeX editor and then import them as images into your PowerPoint slides.

2. Do I need to have a background in LaTeX to use it in PowerPoint?

No, you do not need a background in LaTeX to use it in PowerPoint. Most plugins and add-ins provide a user-friendly interface for inserting LaTeX code, and there are also online tools that allow you to generate LaTeX formulas without any prior knowledge. However, having some familiarity with LaTeX can make the process smoother and give you more control over your formulas.

3. Can I edit LaTeX formulas in PowerPoint after inserting them?

Yes, you can edit LaTeX formulas in PowerPoint after inserting them. Most plugins and add-ins allow you to double-click on a formula to open it in the editor and make changes. You can also use the built-in equation editor in PowerPoint to edit the LaTeX code directly. However, keep in mind that any changes you make to the LaTeX code will not be reflected in the visual appearance of the formula until you update it.

4. Are there any limitations to using LaTeX formulas in PowerPoint?

While LaTeX formulas can greatly enhance the visual appeal and complexity of your PowerPoint presentations, there are some limitations to consider. Some plugins and add-ins may not support advanced LaTeX features, and certain fonts or symbols may not be compatible with PowerPoint. It is always a good idea to test your formulas in the presentation before the actual presentation to ensure they appear as intended.

5. Can I convert my PowerPoint presentation with LaTeX formulas to other formats?

Yes, you can convert your PowerPoint presentation with LaTeX formulas to other formats. However, keep in mind that the formulas will be converted to images, and any edits you make to them in the new format will have to be done manually. Some plugins and add-ins may offer options for converting formulas to other formats while preserving their editability, but this may vary depending on the tool you are using.