Creating Models for Ed Witten's M-Theory

• Thread starter catherineM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the speaker needs to write an essay on Ed Witten and his M-Theory, but is struggling with the visual representation aspect. They ask for ideas and mention that they are in high school physics and not a physicist. They also question why people post in the Quantum Physics section when there is a Beyond the Standard Model section with relevant sub-topics. They suggest using a long equation or creating a Calabi-Yau manifold, but acknowledge the difficulty. They also mention the Polyakov Action as an important component of Superstring Theory and M-Theory. The speaker apologizes for any mistakes and thanks the other person for mentioning the M-Theory topic.
catherineM
I didn't want to post this in the homework section because it isn't exactly a homework question. However, I must write an essay WITH a visual representation (like a model, etc.). My essay is on Ed Witten and his M-Theory. However, I'm stuck on the visual part. Does anybody have any ideas?

*I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong category. Also, if I'm being ignorant, I apologize, I'm in high school physics, so I'm no physicist... :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder why people put things in the Quantum Physics section when there is one called the Beyond the Standard Model and has sub-topics such as M-Theory, branes, SUSY, and LQG.

You can put a ridiculously long equation down! Or you can make a Calabi-Yau manifold but this would be extremely difficult.

Here's an equation:

[tex]S=-\frac{T}{2}\int\sqrt{-h}h^{ab}g_{\mu\nu}(X)\partial_aX^\mu(\sigma)\partial_bX^\nu(\sigma)[/tex]

It's called the Polyakov Action and is a very important component of Superstring Theory and M-Theory.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry! Thanks, I just joined today and I didn't know there was that section! Thank you very much for replying as I will post future questions in the M-Theory topic :)

Related to Creating Models for Ed Witten's M-Theory

1. What is M-Theory?

M-Theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all known fundamental forces and particles in physics, including gravity, into a single coherent theory. It is also known as the "theory of everything."

2. How do scientists create models for M-Theory?

Scientists use mathematical equations and concepts from various branches of physics, such as string theory, to create models for M-Theory. These models help to explain and predict the behavior of particles and forces at a fundamental level.

3. What is the significance of Ed Witten's contributions to M-Theory?

Ed Witten is a prominent theoretical physicist who has made significant contributions to the development of M-Theory. His work has helped to shape and refine the theory, and he is considered one of the leading experts in the field.

4. How does M-Theory differ from other theories, such as string theory?

M-Theory is an extension of string theory, but it also incorporates additional concepts, such as branes and higher-dimensional objects, to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the universe. It also attempts to address some of the limitations and inconsistencies of string theory.

5. How does the creation of models for M-Theory impact our understanding of the universe?

The creation of models for M-Theory allows us to explore and test fundamental principles of the universe, such as the nature of space and time, and the behavior of particles and forces at a microscopic level. It also has the potential to provide a unified explanation for all physical phenomena, which could greatly advance our understanding of the universe.