Creating series solutions for a non-constant coefficient ODE

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation with nonconstant coefficients using a series solution. The solution involves finding a recursion relationship between the coefficients and the arbitrary constants a0 and a1. The final form of the solution involves using the even number recursion formula and the Identity Theorem. However, there is a discrepancy between the book's answer and the calculated expression for the even coefficients.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

This is for differential equations with nonconstant coefficients and I wasn't so great at series and sequences in calculus so when I came across this example problem I wasn't sure how they got to their final form. If someone could explain it to me that would be really helpful.

Homework Equations

The ODE is:
[tex] y"-2xy+2y=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We assume there is some solution of the form:
[tex]y(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^n [/tex]
The derivatives are:
[tex]y'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}na_{n}x^{n-1}\:\: \text{and}\:\: y''(x)=\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}n(n-1)a_nx^{n-2}[/tex]
A change of index gives
[tex]y'(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}na_nx^{n-1}\:\:\text{and}\:\:y''(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}x^n[/tex]
Putting these into the ODE gives:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}x^n-2x\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}na_nx^{n-1}+2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^n=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\Big((n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}-2na_n+2a_n\Big)x^n=0[/tex]
The Identity Theorem gives:
[tex](n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}-2na_n+2a_n=0[/tex]
Solving this for ##a_{n+2}## gives:
[tex]a_{n+2}=\frac{2(n-1)a_n}{(n+2)(n+1)}[/tex]
Odd coefficients are zeros except for ##a_1## because:
[tex]a_3=\frac{2(1-1)a_1}{(n+2)(n+1)}=0\:\: \text{and all other coefficients will depend on a multiple of}\:a_3[/tex]
The even coefficients are given by:
[tex]a_{2k+2}=\frac{2(2k-1)a_{2k}}{(2k+2)(2k+1)}[/tex]
This is a worked example from the book and the answer is:
[tex]\frac{2(2k!)}{k!}[/tex]

I'm not sure how they got this final form, but I think it has something to do with the even number recursion formula, which can be written as:
[tex]a_{2k+2}=\frac{2(2k-1)a_{2k}}{(2k+2)(2k+1)}=\frac{2(2k-1)}{(2k+2)(2k+1)}\frac{2(2k-3)a_{2k-2}}{2k(2k-1)}[/tex]
This is where I am having the problem. The book says the ##a_{2k+2}## can be written as:
[tex]\frac{2^{k+1}(2k-1)(2k-3)...3\cdot2\cdot1}{(2k+2)!}a_0[/tex]
I understand where the ##2^{k+1}## and ##a_0## are coming from, but the other terms I am unsure of.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rmiller:

I have not yet digested all of your calculations, but I noticed a typo in your ODE. You are missing an apostrophe. The second term should be
-2xy' .​

Since the equation is linear, any constant multiple of a solution is also a solution. This means that a0 is an arbitrary constant.
Since this is a second order equation, there should be two independent solutions.

It has been decades since I worked with ODEs so I may be mis-remembering the following.

I think you can also choose a1 to be another arbitrary constant. Then find how a2 relates to a1 and a0. You then need a recursion relationship between
a2k+2 and a2k.​

The solution given
a2k = 2(2k!)/k!​
seems to be based on assuming that a0 = 4 and ignoring a1.

You should be able to find the second solution by assuming a0 = 0 and a1 = 1.

ADDED
I notice that the solution given above is inconsistent with the previous even coefficients expression for a2k+2.
Assuming a0 = 1, the expression for a2k+2 calculates
a2 = -a0.​
However, the book answer 2(2k!)/k! is always positive.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:

FAQ: Creating series solutions for a non-constant coefficient ODE

1. What is a non-constant coefficient ODE?

A non-constant coefficient ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of differential equation where the coefficients of the variables are not constant, meaning they can change with respect to the independent variable. This makes the equation more complex and requires a different approach to solving it compared to a constant coefficient ODE.

2. How do you know when to use series solutions for a non-constant coefficient ODE?

Series solutions are typically used for non-constant coefficient ODEs when the equation cannot be solved using other methods, such as separation of variables or substitution. This is often the case when the coefficients are not constant or when the equation is nonlinear.

3. What is the general process for finding series solutions for a non-constant coefficient ODE?

The general process involves assuming a series solution for the ODE, plugging it into the equation, and then using recurrence relations or the method of undetermined coefficients to determine the coefficients of the series. This process can be repeated to find higher order terms in the series until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

4. Can series solutions for a non-constant coefficient ODE be used for all types of ODEs?

No, series solutions are typically only used for linear ODEs with non-constant coefficients. Nonlinear equations may require other methods, and some equations may not be solvable using series solutions at all.

5. What are the benefits of using series solutions for a non-constant coefficient ODE?

Series solutions allow for a systematic way of finding approximate solutions to non-constant coefficient ODEs, even when exact solutions are not possible. They also provide a useful tool for understanding the behavior of the solution as the independent variable approaches certain values.