Creating Truth Tables: Arranging Variables w/ 3+ Props

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of arranging truth values for propositional variables, particularly when there are more than two variables. The speaker suggests a pattern to follow for creating columns, using binary arithmetic and dividing the number of variables in half. This process is illustrated with an example for three variables. The speaker also mentions having a computer program that follows this algorithm for creating truth tables.
Bashyboy
I am having a little bit of difficulty in arranging the truth value of a each propositional variable, specifically when the amount of propositional variables exceeds 2. I know if I have three propositional variables, then I have eight combinations, meaning my first column would look like:

P
T
T
T
T
F
F
F
F

Is there a general pattern to follow for creating columns for, say, Q and R?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of doing a countdown in binary arithmetic.
...etc
If you read down the columns, the entries have a periodic pattern. The period of a column is half the period of the column to its left.

Count the number of distinct sentence letters, say this number is n. Then the total number of rows will be 2n. For your first sentence letter divide 2n in half. Say the result is m. So make m T's and m F's under the first letter. Then take m and divide it in half coming up with, say, p, and make p T's and p F's under the next letter. Then divide p in half and make that many T's and that many F's under the next sentence letter. Continue this process until the number you obtain by dividing in half is the number one. Then make one T and one F under the last letter until you reach the end.

As an example for 3 sentence letters there are eight possibilities. So for the first letter we make 4 (8/2) T's and 4 F's. Then we make 2 (4/2) T's and 2 F's until we reach the end. Finally, we make 1 (2/2) T and 1 F down the column until we reach the eighth row.

I have a computer program that I've written for making truth tables that uses this algorithm for filling in the possibilities.

Related to Creating Truth Tables: Arranging Variables w/ 3+ Props

1. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a table used to organize and display the possible truth values of a logical expression or statement. It shows all the possible combinations of truth values for the variables in the expression, and the resulting truth value of the entire expression.

2. Why is it important to create truth tables?

Creating truth tables helps to clearly and systematically demonstrate the logical relationships between variables in a statement. It also allows for the identification of any inconsistencies or contradictions in the statement.

3. How do you arrange variables in a truth table with three or more propositions?

In a truth table with three or more propositions, the variables are arranged in columns, with each column representing a proposition. The first column represents the first proposition, the second column represents the second proposition, and so on. The columns are then filled in with the corresponding truth values for each possible combination of the variables.

4. What is the difference between a conjunction and a disjunction in a truth table?

In a truth table, a conjunction (represented by the logical operator "and") is only true when both of its component statements are true. A disjunction (represented by the logical operator "or") is true when at least one of its component statements is true.

5. How can truth tables be used to test the validity of an argument?

In logic, an argument is considered valid if its conclusion logically follows from its premises. Truth tables can be used to test the validity of an argument by comparing the truth values in the last column of the truth table (representing the conclusion) to the truth values in the other columns (representing the premises). If the truth values in the conclusion column are always true when the truth values in the premise columns are true, then the argument is considered valid.