Cristoffel Symbol of spherical coordinates

In summary, the Cristoffel symbol of spherical coordinates is a mathematical tool used in differential geometry to represent the connection between coordinate systems and curved surfaces. It is made up of nine components that describe how a vector field changes as it moves along a curved surface. These symbols are crucial in understanding the curvature and geometry of spherical surfaces, and are used extensively in fields such as physics and engineering.
space-time
I just derived the 3-D Cristoffel symbol of the 2nd kind for spherical coordinates. I don't think I made any careless mistakes, but once again, I just want to verify that I am correct and I can't find any place on line that will give me the components of the symbol so I can check myself.

Here are the components that I derived: (I won't post the 0 components, nor will I post repeat components. By repeat components I mean: If I post [itex]\Gamma[/itex]212 then I already know that [itex]\Gamma[/itex]221 will be the same thing because you can switch around the bottom two indicies.)

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]122 = -r

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]133 = -rsin2(θ)

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]212= 1/r

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]233= -sin(θ)cos(θ)

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]313= 1/r

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]323 = cot(θ)

I used the metric tensor and derivatives of metric tensors formula to derive these components.

Can someone please look at these components that I derived and verify for me if I am right or not. I can provide the metric tensor that I used upon request if you wish to see further work.

Physics news on Phys.org
space-time said:
I can provide the metric tensor that I used upon request if you wish to see further work.

You should provide the metric tensor, yes. Otherwise we won't know how to check your work.

PeterDonis said:
You should provide the metric tensor, yes. Otherwise we won't know how to check your work.

Here is my metric tensor gij :

g11 = 1

g22 = r2

g33= r2sin2(θ)

All other elements were 0. It was a 3 by 3 matrix.

If you want my inverse version (the contravariant version that appears in the formula), then it is below:

g11= 1

g22= 1/r2

g33 = 1/(r2sin2(θ))

Once again all other elements were 0 and it was a 3 by 3 matrix.

space-time said:
All other elements were 0. It was a 3 by 3 matrix.

Ah, ok. You mentioned "0 components" in the OP, but if you're just working in 3-dimensional Euclidean space, which you are with this metric, there are no "0" components. Your results look OK to me.

PeterDonis said:
Ah, ok. You mentioned "0 components" in the OP, but if you're just working in 3-dimensional Euclidean space, which you are with this metric, there are no "0" components. Your results look OK to me.

Thank you very much. :smile:

By the way, do you know of any places where I can just quickly check this stuff on line (for future reference)?

Edit: Oh and by 0 components, I didn't mean 0th dimension like time or anything like that. I just meant elements that were 0. Sorry for the confusion.

space-time said:
Thank you very much. :smile:

By the way, do you know of any places where I can just quickly check this stuff on line (for future reference)?

There are some programs that automate such calculations, some of them are free like Maxima.

space-time said:

Googling will sometimes turn up an online reference, but I don't know of any site that specifically tabulates this sort of thing in a systematic fashion for lots of different coordinate charts.

To make these computations easier, I highly recommend learning how to use a symbolic math package. I use Maxima; other popular ones are Maple and MATLAB (which have the disadvantage of being a lot more expensive than Maxima, which is free :wink:). You can find out more about Maxima here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxima_(software )

Maxima also has a package available called GRTensor that is specifically for computing things like Christoffel symbols.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Cristoffel Symbol of spherical coordinates

What is the Cristoffel Symbol of spherical coordinates?

The Cristoffel Symbol of spherical coordinates is a mathematical concept used to describe the curvature of a surface or space in terms of its coordinate system. It represents the connection between the coordinate variables and the metric tensor, which measures the distances between points on a curved surface.

How is the Cristoffel Symbol of spherical coordinates calculated?

The Cristoffel Symbol of spherical coordinates can be calculated using the metric tensor and its derivatives with respect to the coordinate variables. This involves taking partial derivatives and performing matrix operations to obtain the components of the symbol.

Why is the Cristoffel Symbol of spherical coordinates important?

The Cristoffel Symbol of spherical coordinates is important because it allows us to understand and quantify the curvature of a surface or space. It is also used in various fields of physics, such as general relativity, to describe the behavior of particles and light in curved spaces.

What is the relationship between the Cristoffel Symbol of spherical coordinates and the Riemann curvature tensor?

The Cristoffel Symbol of spherical coordinates is related to the Riemann curvature tensor through the metric tensor. The Riemann curvature tensor represents the full curvature of a surface or space, while the Cristoffel Symbol only measures the connection between the coordinate variables and the metric tensor.

How does the Cristoffel Symbol change with different coordinate systems?

The Cristoffel Symbol changes with different coordinate systems because it is a representation of the connection between the coordinate variables and the metric tensor. As the coordinate system changes, the metric tensor and its derivatives also change, resulting in different components of the Cristoffel Symbol.

Back