Criteria for Determining Satellite's Return from Orbit?

In summary, the conversation discusses using conservation of energy and angular momentum to solve for the velocity of a satellite in relation to the planet's surface. The given inequality can be simplified to show that the satellite will return to the planet's surface if X is either greater than 1 or between sin^2(alpha) and sin(alpha). However, this conclusion is not entirely accurate as it does not take into account the possibility of the satellite's path crossing through the planet.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-9_23-44-47.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy/ angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I used conservation of momentum to do part d. My answer is VB/VA=sinα /X. i don't know how to do part e. What is the criteria to determine whether the satellite will return to the planet's surface?

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-9_23-44-47.png
    upload_2018-4-9_23-44-47.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 659
Physics news on Phys.org
The question seems strange in at least one regard: the inequality to be proved can be greatly simplified... but you do have to be careful with signs.

It gets even stranger when you figure out the range of X values for which the given inequality is false.

Now, I'm no expert in this area, but I always thought that if an object is a satellite (i.e. below escape velocity) then it follows an elliptical path forever. It cannot start on some other path and migrate to an elliptical orbit without some impulse being applied. So if it starts off rising from the surface at some angle above the horizontal, and is below escape velocity, then...

Last edited:
Likes Clara Chung
I don't know too. I always thought that it either fire the satellite tangentially or fire the satellite with an angle but it will always return to the earth...

Clara Chung said:
I don't know too. I always thought that it either fire the satellite tangentially or fire the satellite with an angle but it will always return to the earth...

##\frac{X(X-1)}{X^2 - \sin^2\alpha} \le \frac{X(X-1)}{X^2 - 1} = \frac{X}{X + 1} < 1 \ \ ## (for ##X > 1##)

Likes Clara Chung
PeroK said:
##\frac{X(X-1)}{X^2 - \sin^2\alpha} \le \frac{X(X-1)}{X^2 - 1} = \frac{X}{X + 1} < 1 \ \ ## (for ##X > 1##)
I think it is more helpful to simplify the original inequality, working the cases of positive and negative denominator separately.

Likes Clara Chung
haruspex said:
I think it is more helpful to simplify the original inequality, working the cases of positive and negative denominator separately.
How about assume that the velocity when the satellite reach the Earth be v.
By conservation of energy,
mvA2 / 2 = mv2 /2
=> vA=v
By conservation of angular momentum,
vA sin α R = v R
=> sin α = 1 ?

Clara Chung said:
How about assume that the velocity when the satellite reach the Earth be v.
By conservation of energy,
mvA2 / 2 = mv2 /2
=> vA=v
By conservation of angular momentum,
vA sin α R = v R
=> sin α = 1 ?

I wouldn't worry about this problem. There's definitely something not quite right.

Clara Chung said:
Not if it is fired fast enough (escape velocity), but then B would be at infinity, making X infinite.

For what little it is worth, the simplification of the given inequality goes like this:
If the denominator > 0 (i.e. X>sin(α)) then we can multiply out to get
X(X-1)<X2-sin2(α)
Cancelling an X2:
-X<-sin2(α)
X>sin2(α)
And since we are assuming X>sin(α) that is trivially true.
But if X<sin(α) then when we multiply out to there is a reversal:
X(X-1)>X2-sin2(α)
Cancelling an X2:
-X>-sin2(α)
X<sin2(α)
So the given inequality is equivalent to:
X<sin2(α) or X>sin(α).

The implication, sort of, is that if sin2(α) < X<sin(α) then it will not crash back to the planet. This is clearly absurd. If X<1 then the point B is inside the planet.

haruspex said:
The implication, sort of, is that if sin2(α) < X<sin(α) then it will not crash back to the planet. This is clearly absurd. If X<1 then the point B is inside the planet.

##X > 1## by its definition in the problem.

Related to Criteria for Determining Satellite's Return from Orbit?

1. What is a central force orbit problem?

A central force orbit problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the trajectory of a particle under the influence of a central force, such as gravity or electrostatic force. The particle is assumed to be moving in a two-dimensional plane, and the central force acts along the line connecting the particle to the center of the force.

2. What are some examples of central forces?

Some examples of central forces include gravity, electrostatic force, and nuclear force. These forces act in a straight line between the center of the force and the particle, and the strength of the force decreases with distance.

3. How do you solve a central force orbit problem?

To solve a central force orbit problem, you can use mathematical equations such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. These equations can be solved using calculus methods, such as integration and differentiation, to find the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at any given time.

4. What is the difference between circular and elliptical orbits?

A circular orbit is one where the particle moves in a perfect circle around the center of the force, while an elliptical orbit is one where the particle follows an oval-shaped path. In a circular orbit, the distance between the particle and the center of the force remains constant, while in an elliptical orbit, the distance varies at different points in the orbit.

5. How do central force orbit problems relate to real-life situations?

Central force orbit problems have many real-life applications, such as predicting the motion of planets around the sun, satellites around the Earth, and electrons around the nucleus of an atom. These problems also help in understanding the behavior of objects under the influence of forces in the physical world.