Cross Product in Spherical Coordinates - Getting conflicting oppinions

In summary: In Cartesian, it is L = m r^2.In summary,Some of my own professors have said you MAY do this. There are also E-mag textbooks, etc. that do the cross product in spherical coords!
Damascus Road
Hey all,
I really need some clarification here.

I've seen problems dealing with the Angular Momentum of a particle, working in spherical coordinates. Wolfram says that there is no simple way to perform this and do the determinant, and you will find many people and other websites claiming this. i.e. you must convert to Cartesian, or I've also seen some kind of operator.

However,
Some of my own professors have said you MAY do this. There are also E-mag textbooks, etc. that do the cross product in spherical coords!

In my own meddling, it seems like it works fine, as long as you look at an instant in time, since the directions are not constant, but they are however, all mutually perpendicular to each other. When I do this, it is identical to what I would get in Cartesian.

Also, if this is allowed, can someone tell me in what order the directions should be in the determinant? (r, theta, phi)
(phi being in the x,y plane)

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe W and others were referring to Del X something. The cyclic order r, theta, phi is correct, with anyone of them going first.

Damascus Road said:
Hey all,
I really need some clarification here.

I've seen problems dealing with the Angular Momentum of a particle, working in spherical coordinates. Wolfram says that there is no simple way to perform this and do the determinant, and you will find many people and other websites claiming this. i.e. you must convert to Cartesian, or I've also seen some kind of operator.

Hmm ... I did a back-of-the-envelope caliculation and got myself

L = m r 2 * (d[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt * phi-direction - sin [tex]\theta[/tex] * d [tex]\phi[/tex]/dt * theta-direction )

Of course, you could convert it into Cartesian, but it's easiest to do it in the coordinate system in which your trajectory is given.

What you wrote, xlines, is your result from the cross-product?

Damascus Road said:
What you wrote, xlines, is your result from the cross-product?

Yes, that is [tex]\vec{L}[/tex] = m [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] x [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] in spherical coordinates, angular momentum of a pointlike particle.

Related to Cross Product in Spherical Coordinates - Getting conflicting oppinions

1. What is the difference between the cross product in Cartesian coordinates and spherical coordinates?

The main difference is in the coordinate systems used. In Cartesian coordinates, the axes are perpendicular to each other and the coordinates are represented by three numbers (x, y, z). In spherical coordinates, the axes are a radial distance, an azimuth angle, and a polar angle. This difference in coordinate systems leads to a difference in the formula used for calculating the cross product.

2. Why are there conflicting opinions about the cross product in spherical coordinates?

The cross product in spherical coordinates can be calculated in two different ways, leading to two different results. Some sources use the right-hand rule, while others use the left-hand rule. This can result in conflicting opinions on the correct way to calculate the cross product in spherical coordinates.

3. How do I know which method to use for calculating the cross product in spherical coordinates?

There is no universally agreed upon method for calculating the cross product in spherical coordinates. It ultimately depends on the convention used by the source material you are referencing. It is important to be consistent in your calculations and to clearly state which method you are using.

4. Can the cross product be used in spherical coordinates?

Yes, the cross product can be used in spherical coordinates. It is a mathematical operation that can be applied to vectors in any coordinate system. However, it is important to use the correct formula and convention for calculating the cross product in spherical coordinates.

5. Are there any practical applications for the cross product in spherical coordinates?

Yes, the cross product in spherical coordinates has many practical applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate torque and angular momentum, as well as in electromagnetic and fluid dynamics problems. It is an important tool in vector calculus and is used extensively in many fields of study.

Back