Crow flying to destination (vector problem)

• Thread starter LoganPatrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flying
In summary, the crow flies 80 meters west and then continues on a path that is 37.4 meters at an angle of 25° west of north.
LoganPatrick

Homework Statement

A crow flies in two successive displacements to a point that is 80 m to the west. Its first displacement is 80 m in a direction θ1 = 65° west of north.

a)What is the magnitude of its second displacement?

b)What is its direction of its second displacement measured by the angle θ2 measured west from north?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

90-65= 25° N of W

cos25°= 80/c --> then c= 80/cos25°= 88.3m

c²=a²+b²

b=√(c²-a²)
b=√((88.3)²-(80)²)
b=37.4m

180°= 25°+90²+Θ
Θx=65°

360°-65°=

295° W of N

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Patrick, and welcome to PF.

In these cases a sketch or a drawing is a big help. I, for instance, can't understand what the c you are calculating, stands for.

I can understand the 25°, though, and I can calculate how much of the 80 m in the westward direction has been covered (call it A). Also how much in the northward direction (call it B). So all I, crow, have to do then is to go west the remainder of the 80 m and south the same distance B. Gives me a magnitude using Pythagoras and an angle via an arctangent.

What is ALWAYS advised here is that when you want help with such a problem, SHOW YOUR DIAGRAM. That let's us know what you are doing/thinking and might readily lead to our being able to help you.

Related to Crow flying to destination (vector problem)

1. How do you calculate the vector of a crow flying to a destination?

The vector of a crow flying to a destination can be calculated by determining the magnitude and direction of the displacement from the crow's starting point to its destination. This can be done using trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem.

2. What factors can affect the vector of a crow flying to a destination?

The vector of a crow flying to a destination can be affected by various factors such as wind speed and direction, air resistance, and the crow's own flight abilities. These factors can alter the magnitude and direction of the displacement, ultimately changing the vector.

3. How can you use vectors to represent the flight path of a crow to a destination?

Vectors can be used to represent the flight path of a crow to a destination by showing the displacement between the starting point and destination as a magnitude and direction. This can be illustrated graphically using a vector diagram.

4. Can a crow's flight path to a destination be calculated using only one vector?

No, a crow's flight path to a destination cannot be accurately calculated using only one vector. This is because the crow's flight involves changes in direction and speed, which cannot be represented by a single vector. Multiple vectors are needed to accurately depict the flight path.

5. How can you use vectors to predict the time it takes for a crow to fly to a destination?

Vectors can be used to predict the time it takes for a crow to fly to a destination by calculating the displacement and dividing it by the crow's average speed. This will give an estimate of the time it takes for the crow to reach its destination, assuming there are no external factors affecting its flight.