Cryptography/CompSecurity Question

• Thread starter FireStorm000
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reverse engineering encryption keys in public key cryptography. The question is whether an attacker can access the key by having both the encrypted and unencrypted data streams, and knowledge of the algorithm. This is known as a chosen ciphertext attack and can vary depending on the encryption algorithm. It poses a risk to existing systems.
FireStorm000
This is probably slightly outside the domain of these forums, but cryptography is a mathematical process so I'll ask: Generally keys are used to encrypt data, and another matching key is used to decrypt it, at least in public key cryptography (which is what I'm interested in). My question is whether or not it is possible to reverse engineer one of these keys given both the encrypted and unencrypted data streams? In other words, if an attacker has both the input and output of the encryption process, and know the internals of the algorithm could they attack the key and compromise it? Does it vary based on the encryption algorithm? If it can be done, how big of a risk does it pose to existing systems?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I answered my own question. It's called a chosen cypher-text attack, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chosen-ciphertext_attack" .

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Cryptography/CompSecurity Question

What is cryptography?

Cryptography is the practice and study of techniques for secure communication in the presence of third parties. It involves creating and analyzing protocols that prevent third parties or the public from reading private messages. Cryptography also encompasses techniques for message authentication, digital signatures, and electronic money.

What are the main goals of cryptography?

The main goals of cryptography are confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity. Confidentiality is the protection of information from being accessed by unauthorized parties. Integrity ensures that the information has not been altered or tampered with during transmission. Authenticity verifies that the information is coming from a trusted source.

What is the difference between symmetric and asymmetric encryption?

Symmetric encryption uses the same key for both encryption and decryption, while asymmetric encryption uses a public key for encryption and a private key for decryption. This means that in symmetric encryption, the same key must be shared between the sender and receiver, while in asymmetric encryption, the public key can be shared publicly and the private key is kept secret by the owner.

How does cryptography protect against cyber attacks?

Cryptography protects against cyber attacks by making it difficult for hackers to access and understand sensitive information. By using encryption techniques, information is converted into a code that is unreadable without the proper key. This makes it nearly impossible for hackers to access and understand the information, preventing them from causing harm.

What are the ethical concerns surrounding cryptography?

One of the main ethical concerns surrounding cryptography is the balance between privacy and security. While cryptography can protect sensitive information, it can also be used by criminals to hide illegal activities. Another concern is the potential for governments to use cryptography for mass surveillance of their citizens. Additionally, the use of cryptography can also raise concerns about the potential for backdoors or vulnerabilities that could be exploited by malicious actors.