Crystal plane perpendicularity to direction

In summary, "Crystal plane perpendicularity to direction" refers to the orientation of a crystal plane in relation to a specific direction within the crystal lattice. It is important in crystallography because it affects the physical and chemical properties of crystals. It is measured using X-ray diffraction techniques and can be controlled in some cases. Understanding crystal plane perpendicularity has practical applications in various fields.
dikmikkel

Homework Statement

Show that the direction [hkl] is perpendicular to the plane (hkl) in a cubic system.

Homework Equations

None, maybe cross product

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to define the crystal translation vectors(cubic means a=b=c):
[itex] \vec{a}_1 = a\hat{x}\\
\vec{a}_2 = a\hat{y}\\
\vec{a}_3 = a\hat{z}
[/itex]
I just can't imagine how to obtain the vector normal to the plane. I cannot use the reciprocal space as we haven't gone over that yet. Please help me, it is not to be handed in i just need to understand it.

My question is: What is the connection between Miller Indicies of a plane and the plane's normal vector.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,
To show that the direction [hkl] is perpendicular to the plane (hkl) in a cubic system, we can use the definition of Miller indices.

Miller indices represent the reciprocals of the intercepts of the plane on the crystallographic axes. For a plane with intercepts a, b, and c on the x, y, and z axes respectively, the Miller indices are (1/a, 1/b, 1/c).

Now, the normal vector of a plane can be defined as the vector perpendicular to the plane's surface. In a cubic system, the plane (hkl) has a normal vector that is parallel to the direction [hkl]. This can be seen by considering the intercepts of the plane on the crystallographic axes.

For example, if we have a plane with Miller indices (1,2,3), its normal vector will be parallel to the direction [1,2,3]. This can also be verified by taking the dot product of the two vectors, which will result in a value of 0, indicating that they are perpendicular.

In summary, in a cubic system, the direction [hkl] is perpendicular to the plane (hkl) because the normal vector of the plane is parallel to the direction [hkl], and the Miller indices of a plane are reciprocals of its intercepts on the crystallographic axes.

I hope this helps to clarify the connection between Miller indices and a plane's normal vector. Let me know if you have any further questions.

FAQ: Crystal plane perpendicularity to direction

1. What is meant by "crystal plane perpendicularity to direction"?

"Crystal plane perpendicularity to direction" refers to the orientation of a crystal plane in relation to a specific direction within the crystal lattice. It is a measure of how closely the plane is oriented at a 90-degree angle to the direction being considered.

2. Why is crystal plane perpendicularity important in crystallography?

In crystallography, the orientation of crystal planes is crucial in determining the physical and chemical properties of crystals. The degree of perpendicularity between a plane and a direction can affect the crystal's stability, electrical conductivity, and other characteristics.

3. How is crystal plane perpendicularity measured?

Crystal plane perpendicularity is typically measured using X-ray diffraction techniques. This involves shooting a beam of X-rays at the crystal and analyzing the pattern of diffraction, which provides information about the orientation of crystal planes and their perpendicularity to a specific direction.

4. Can crystal plane perpendicularity be controlled or adjusted?

Yes, crystal plane perpendicularity can be influenced through various methods, such as controlling the growth conditions or applying external pressure. However, it is important to note that some crystals have inherent limitations in their ability to adjust their plane orientations.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding crystal plane perpendicularity?

Understanding crystal plane perpendicularity is crucial in many fields, including material science, geology, and electronics. It can be used to engineer crystals with specific properties, identify minerals, and develop new technologies such as semiconductors and optical devices.