CSS3 and HTML5 generator program?

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a program or IDE that can generate HTML5, CSS3, and potentially JavaScript for web design. Various programs such as Dreamweaver and Microsoft Expression Web are suggested and discussed, with the main focus being on finding a program that is suitable for a beginner and can generate code for appearance without much manual coding. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the technologies and being able to manually code for a better understanding of web development.
AliGh
I'm looking for a program or an IDE which generates HTML5 and CSS3 (Would be better if it could generate some javascript too) any suggestions ?
I saw some websites like : css3generator.com
They are good but i want something that i can use offline and easily accessible

Technology news on Phys.org
I assume you want free? Otherwise programs like Dreamweaver is an industry standard

Greg Bernhardt said:
I assume you want free? Otherwise programs like Dreamweaver is an industry standard
Are you sure Dreamweaver has generators like these websites ?

Last edited:
AliGh said:
I'm looking for a program or an IDE which generates HTML5 and CSS3 (Would be better if it could generate some javascript too) any suggestions ?
I saw some websites like : css3generator.com
They are good but i want something that i can use offline and easily accessible
Those programs cannot do magic, you still have to tell them what the website should have. In particular, how can a program know which JS code you want if you don't write the code - apart from a few standard things maybe?

Likes AliGh
AliGh said:
Are you sure Dreamweaver has generators like these websites ?
Can you rephrase this?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you rephrase this?
Sorry my english isn't so good
Are you sure Deamweaver has such features ? I worked with the 2014 version in my friends computer for a few minutes i didn't see such things..

mfb said:
Those programs cannot do magic, you still have to tell them what the website should have. In particular, how can a program know which JS code you want if you don't write the code - apart from a few standard things maybe?
I just want to use the code for appearance not a special function or something

AliGh said:
Then why would you need javascript?

AliGh said:
Sorry my english isn't so good
Are you sure Deamweaver has such features ? I worked with the 2014 version in my friends computer for a few minutes i didn't see such things..
You did not see that Dreamweaver generates HTML? What DID you see it do?

EDIT: Hint ... whatever you THINK you saw, what you saw was it generating HTML. Since 2011 it has generated HTML5

Likes AliGh
phinds said:
You did not see that Dreamweaver generates HTML? What DID you see it do?

EDIT: Hint ... whatever you THINK you saw, what you saw was it generating HTML. Since 2011 it has generated HTML5
I'm just a beginner and haven't tried javascript yet so i don't understand it properly ...
I just want to make sure that i am going to use a good IDE to continue my practicing
I used visual studio code its good for small programs but not for bigger programs

If you only at a beginner stage you would be better off making small projects anyway.
You will want to be able to understand what the various technologies actually do and practice with manual coding and debugging at first.
If you can't do that even for a simple website you won't have much hope maintaining code generated by dreamweaver and other developer studio packages.

Likes AliGh and Greg Bernhardt
AliGh said:
I worked with the 2014 version in my friends computer for a few minutes i didn't see such things.

AliGh said:

I think you need to clearly define what you intend to do and read up on Dreamweaver, because the program is for web design. That is its purpose.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think you need to clearly define what you intend to do and read up on Dreamweaver, because the program is for web design. That is its purpose.
I am practicing PHP and c# for now . I understand what exactly html and CSS do and how they work but i don't have enough time to work on them too
So i need something that generates a code for my pages appearance without me needing to mess around with the code

AliGh said:
So i need something that generates a code for my pages appearance without me needing to mess around with the code
Dreamweaver will basically allow you to create your webpage visually like a word document (but much much better). You'll be able to edit the actual code if you want and when you need to add the PHP.

Likes AliGh
Microsoft Expression Web (v4) is free and can be configured to do that. It is my favorite web-dev tool these days. It is also elegant and straightforward to use.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
harborsparrow said:
Microsoft Expression Web (v4) is free and can be configured to do that. It is my favorite web-dev tool these days. It is also elegant and straightforward to use.
But isn't it limited to Microsoft servers, whereas most web servers run on UNIX / LINUX / APACHE / ETC (i.e. non-Microsoft) or is my understanding out of date ?

phinds said:
But isn't it limited to Microsoft servers, whereas most web servers run on UNIX / LINUX / APACHE / ETC (i.e. non-Microsoft) or is my understanding out of date ?

Microsoft Expression Web is an editor, and it generates standard code. Visual Studio also generates standard code, and is more up-to-date. The code can then be moved to any type of server.

Likes Silicon Waffle
harborsparrow said:
Microsoft Expression Web is an editor, and it generates standard code. Visual Studio also generates standard code, and is more up-to-date. The code can then be moved to any type of server.
Ah. I thought it generated some ASP.NET code and was limited to Microsoft. Thanks. (I realize the HTML is universal)

phinds said:
Ah. I thought it generated some ASP.NET code and was limited to Microsoft. Thanks. (I realize the HTML is universal)
Yeah that is Visual Studio

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah that is Visual Studio
I just remember the early stuff I read about it said it generated ASP.NET code (in addition to HTML), which I already knew was VS (which I use) and since I wasn't interested in Microsoft-only server code, I ignored it from then on.

Practicing web programming ? You have to clarify your plan (e.g build an e-commerce website like amazon, a blog site that looks like one provided by Word Press, etc), then sketch your pages (brainstorming your ideas), finalize the draft on what are common and variable in each page (this will help you reduce script bloats, esp you will learn where to locate the files that are accessed by all others later). Either backend or frontend, it needs tremendous effort to finish a good site. For ASP.NET, use VS201x and VB.NET or C# of your choice. For PHP it is harder you need a view engine not simply the language built-in methods or commands like echo, print etc (i.e for your backend and frontend to talk to each other in simpler ways), so you may need to use a framework. Both VS 201x and PHP framework include libraries for you to work best to get what you want.
About IDE, I only used Dreamweaver to work in frontend stuff, and used mainly notepad/notepad++ for PHP backend stuff. You can choose NetBeans or Eclipse for PHP if you like; the former works better to me though.

Likes AliGh
phinds said:
I just remember the early stuff I read about it said it generated ASP.NET code (in addition to HTML), which I already knew was VS (which I use) and since I wasn't interested in Microsoft-only server code, I ignored it from then on.

Some years ago, Microsoft's products were not standards-based. FrontPage was a disaster, just for example. But in the interim, Microsoft has moved strongly towards standardization and even openness. Expression Web (which I fear is no longer being developed, in favor of a similar Sharepoint client) IS standards-based, and in both it and Visual Studio, you can tinker with the settings and determine what will be the default version of HTML and CSS that it generates when in WYSIWYG mode. And you can always switch to the code view, which parses according to the standards. Expression Web also has a link-checker and other features that can be very useful. For example, if you change a file name, it will normally correct links within the same web to the new file name.

I develop and maintain websites on both Microsoft and Linux servers, and the Microsoft tools have caused me no issues whatsoever. I do only standards-based code whenever possible.

Both Expression Web and Visual Studio have a very powerful file syncronizer. You can copy a "web" (really, a website) from one site to another, and it will show you which files have changed. Also a very useful feature. Although they both have decent code syntax highlighters, Expression Web has more WYSIWYG power. In Visual Studio, you'll need to code a few things by hand (certain styles and links, for example). It will show you good syntax if you get it right, and bad syntax if you get it wrong, but it won't gen the code for you. Expression Web let's you author as if in Word, and it generates clean code in the background.

Unless I misremember, you can also specify the default character encoding for files, which is important if you are using any foreign language names. I've certainly done my time debugging such issues in the past, and have had little complaint with either.

Although they CAN do FTP, I've always used a separate FTP client (FileZilla) to transfer my files. When I can get it, I've also used the Microsoft Frontpage Server extensions, which let Expression Web and Visual Studio connect directly to servers to edit files and use the built-in file syncing. In recent years, though, it has become less common for sysadmins to tolerate those (it's 3rd-party software), so I'm stuck FTPing again.

I did quite seriously try DreamWeaver but frankly, I always hated it. I was confounded by its user interface, which also changed with each new version. And the last I knew, it was no longer being updated and was no longer up for HTML5 and CSS3.

Visual Studio now supports a variety of different languages out of the box, and even more with added plug-ins.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
harborsparrow said:
Some years ago, Microsoft's products were not standards-based. FrontPage was a disaster, just for example.
Right. I tried it. It was just AMAZINGLY awful.

But in the interim, Microsoft has moved strongly towards standardization and even openness.
Good to know. Thanks. I use VS extensively, but only for desktop apps in VB.NET, not for my web stuff

I have searched a lot in the internet and i have found some programs :
-Adobe muse
-Quick 'n Easy Web Builder
-Bluementals WeBuilder
Which one is the best ? Adobe muse ? Do you have Any other suggestions ?

Related to CSS3 and HTML5 generator program?

1. What is a CSS3 and HTML5 generator program?

A CSS3 and HTML5 generator program is a software tool that helps users create and customize Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) code for web design. It allows users to easily generate code for various elements such as text, images, and layout, without having to manually write the code themselves.

2. How does a CSS3 and HTML5 generator program work?

A CSS3 and HTML5 generator program typically works by providing a user-friendly interface where users can select and customize different design elements. The program then generates the corresponding CSS and HTML code for the selected elements, which can be easily copied and pasted into a website's code.

3. What are the benefits of using a CSS3 and HTML5 generator program?

Using a CSS3 and HTML5 generator program can save time and effort in creating web designs, especially for those who are not familiar with coding. It also ensures consistent and clean code, making websites more efficient and easier to maintain. Additionally, these programs often come with pre-designed templates and layouts, making it easier to create visually appealing designs.

4. Can a CSS3 and HTML5 generator program be used for all types of websites?

Yes, a CSS3 and HTML5 generator program can be used for any type of website, including personal blogs, e-commerce sites, and business websites. It is a versatile tool that can be used by beginners and professionals alike.

5. Are there any limitations to using a CSS3 and HTML5 generator program?

While CSS3 and HTML5 generator programs can greatly assist in creating web designs, they are not a replacement for coding skills and knowledge. Advanced customization may still require manual coding. Additionally, some programs may have limited features compared to others, so it is important to choose one that best fits your needs.