CTS and show the roots in this form

In summary, the purpose of completing the square method is to solve for x in equations like x^2-8x-29=0. This method involves manipulating the equation until it is in the form of (x-c)^2=d, allowing us to easily find the roots. In this case, the roots are c+-d√5, where c=4 and d=3.
ai93
I have to show the roots of \(\displaystyle x^{2}-8x-29=0\) are c\(\displaystyle \pm\)d\(\displaystyle \sqrt{5}\)

I used completing the square method. Once I used CTS I got the answer
\(\displaystyle (x-4)^2-45=0\) So I am not sure what is the next step to put it in the form of c\(\displaystyle \pm\)d\(\displaystyle \sqrt{5}\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathsheadache said:
I have to show the roots of \(\displaystyle x^{2}-8x-29=0\) are c\(\displaystyle \pm\)d\(\displaystyle \sqrt{5}\)

I used completing the square method. Once I used CTS I got the answer
\(\displaystyle (x-4)^2-45=0\) So I am not sure what is the next step to put it in the form of c\(\displaystyle \pm\)d\(\displaystyle \sqrt{5}\)

$$(x-4)^2=45 \Rightarrow x-4= \pm \sqrt{45} \Rightarrow x-4=\pm \sqrt{9 \cdot 5} \Rightarrow x-4=\pm 3 \sqrt{5} \Rightarrow x=4 \pm 3 \sqrt{5}$$

Hello, mathsheadache!

I have to show the roots of: \(\displaystyle \:x^2-8x-29\:=\:0\:\) are \(\displaystyle \:c\pm d\sqrt{5}\)

I used completing the square method.
Once I used CTS I got the answer: \(\displaystyle \;(x-4)^2-45\:=\:0\)

So I am not sure what is the next step to put it in the form of \(\displaystyle c\pm d \sqrt{5}\)

What is the purpose of CTS? . . . To solve for \(\displaystyle x\,!\)

\(\displaystyle (x-4)^2 - 45 \;=\;0\)

\(\displaystyle \qquad(x-4)^2 \;=\; 45\)

\(\displaystyle \qquad\quad x-4 \;=\;\pm\sqrt{45}\)

\(\displaystyle \qquad\quad x-4 \;=\;\pm3 \sqrt{5}\)

\(\displaystyle \qquad\qquad\;\, x \;=\;4 \pm 3\sqrt{5}\)

evinda said:
$$(x-4)^2=45 \Rightarrow x-4= \pm \sqrt{45} \Rightarrow x-4=\pm \sqrt{9 \cdot 5} \Rightarrow x-4=\pm 3 \sqrt{5} \Rightarrow x=4 \pm 3 \sqrt{5}$$

Thanks this really helped!

soroban said:
Hello, mathsheadache!

What is the purpose of CTS? . . . To solve for \(\displaystyle x\,!\)

\(\displaystyle (x-4)^2 - 45 \;=\;0\)

\(\displaystyle \qquad(x-4)^2 \;=\; 45\)

\(\displaystyle \qquad\quad x-4 \;=\;\pm\sqrt{45}\)

\(\displaystyle \qquad\quad x-4 \;=\;\pm3 \sqrt{5}\)

\(\displaystyle \qquad\qquad\;\, x \;=\;4 \pm 3\sqrt{5}\)

Cheers, you make the question look easier than it is!

FAQ: CTS and show the roots in this form

1. What is CTS?

CTS stands for Common Type System, which is a set of rules that define how data types are declared, used, and managed in the .NET framework.

2. How is CTS used in the .NET framework?

CTS is used to ensure that different programming languages can interact and share data seamlessly within the .NET framework. It also helps to provide type safety and helps with memory management.

3. What are the roots of CTS?

The roots of CTS can be traced back to the development of the .NET framework by Microsoft in the late 1990s. It was designed to be a unified platform for developing and running applications on different devices and operating systems.

4. What is the benefit of using CTS?

One of the main benefits of using CTS is that it allows for interoperability between different programming languages. This means that code written in one language can easily communicate with code written in another language within the .NET framework.

5. How can I learn more about CTS?

To learn more about CTS, you can refer to Microsoft's documentation on the .NET framework or take online courses that focus specifically on CTS and its implementation within the .NET framework. You can also join online communities and forums to discuss and learn more about CTS from other developers.

Back