Cube root of unity with a huge exponent

In summary, we can use Fermat's Little Theorem to show that the huge exponent in the expression $x$ is of the form $3k-1$. This simplifies to $x=\omega^{3k-1}$. Therefore, the value of $y$ is $-\omega$.
Saitama
Problem:
Let $y=x/(1+x)$, where
$$\Large x=\omega^{2009^{2009^{\cdots \text{upto 2009 times}}}}$$
and $\omega$ is a complex root of 1. Then $y$ is

A)$\omega$

B)$-\omega$

C)$\omega^2$

D)$-\omega^2$

Attempt:
I somehow need to show that the huge exponent is of the form $3k$, $3k+1$ or $3k-1$ but I don't see how to do so. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
Problem:
Let $y=x/(1+x)$, where

A)$\omega$

B)$-\omega$

C)$\omega^2$

D)$-\omega^2$

Attempt:
I somehow need to show that the huge exponent is of the form $3k$, $3k+1$ or $3k-1$ but I don't see how to do so. :confused:

This is really number theory. First observe that $2009 \equiv 2 \pmod{3}$. Therefore, for any integer $k$:
$$2009^k \equiv 2^k \pmod{3}$$
Furthermore, let $k = 2009^l$ for some integer $l$. Then $k$ is clearly odd, since $2009$ is odd. So:
$$k \equiv 2009^l \equiv 1^l \equiv 1 \pmod{2}$$
Through Euler's Theorem since $\varphi(3) = 2$ (actually the FLT suffices since $3$ is prime) we have:
$$2009^{(2009^l)} \equiv 2009^k \equiv 2^k \equiv 2^1 \equiv 2 \pmod{3}$$
And so we conclude that the exponent is of the form $3k + 2$, or, equivalently, $3k - 1$.

Last edited:
Pranav said:
Problem:
Let $y=x/(1+x)$, where

A)$\omega$

B)$-\omega$

C)$\omega^2$

D)$-\omega^2$

Attempt:

Hi Pranav! ;)

It looks like a case where Fermat's little theorem can be applied repeatedly.
Can you clarify which root of 1 the symbol $\omega$ is?

Hi ILS and Bacterius! :)

Bacterius said:
Through Euler's Theorem since $\varphi(3) = 2$ (actually the FLT suffices since $3$ is prime) we have:
$$2009^{(2009^l)} \equiv 2009^k \equiv 2^k \equiv 2^1 \equiv 2 \pmod{3}$$

I am lost on this step. How did you apply FLT here? :confused:

I like Serena said:
Can you clarify which root of 1 the symbol $\omega$ is?
The problem statement mentions nothing about that but I think it isn't necessary to solve the problem.

Pranav said:
I am lost on this step. How did you apply FLT here? :confused:
I am applying the cyclic property of exponents modulo $\varphi(n)$, which follows immediately from Euler's Theorem (or FLT for prime moduli). In other words, for $\gcd(a, n) = 1$. the following holds:
$$x \equiv y \pmod{\varphi(n)} ~ ~ ~ \implies ~ ~ ~ a^x \equiv a^y \pmod{n}$$
In this case, we found that for any integer $l$:
$$2009^l \equiv 1 \pmod{2}$$
And we also know that $2009$ is coprime to $3$, and so we obtain:
$$2009^{2009^l} \equiv 2009^1 \pmod{3}$$
Simplify using $2009 \equiv 2 \pmod{3}$ and the result follows.

Bacterius said:
I am applying the cyclic property of exponents modulo $\varphi(n)$, which follows immediately from Euler's Theorem (or FLT for prime moduli). In other words, for $\gcd(a, n) = 1$. the following holds:
$$x \equiv y \pmod{\varphi(n)} ~ ~ ~ \implies ~ ~ ~ a^x \equiv a^y \pmod{n}$$
In this case, we found that for any integer $l$:
$$2009^l \equiv 1 \pmod{2}$$
And we also know that $2009$ is coprime to $3$, and so we obtain:
$$2009^{2009^l} \equiv 2009^1 \pmod{3}$$
Simplify using $2009 \equiv 2 \pmod{3}$ and the result follows.

Thanks Bacterius! :)

I have never seen that property before.

But can we proceed from FLT directly without involving the use of Euler's totient function? I have never used it before in problem solving.

From FLT,
$$a^{p-1}\equiv 1\pmod p$$
Here $p=3$, what should be $a$? :confused:

Pranav said:
Thanks Bacterius! :)

I have never seen that property before.

But can we proceed from FLT directly without involving the use of Euler's totient function? I have never used it before in problem solving.

From FLT,
$$a^{p-1}\equiv 1\pmod p$$
Here $p=3$, what should be $a$? :confused:

Sure, you can do it this way. You simply note that $2009^l$ is going to be odd for any $l$, and so it can be written as $m(p - 1) + 1$ for $p = 3$ (so $p - 1 = 2$). Therefore:
$$a^{2009^l} \equiv a^{m(p - 1) + 1} \equiv a^1 \equiv a \pmod{p}$$
Then you put $a = 2009$ as per your problem, and simplify the base modulo $3$, and you're done. Does this make it clearer?

Last edited:
Bacterius said:
Sure, you can do it this way. You simply note that $2009^l$ is going to be odd for any $l$, and so it can be written as $2(p - 1) + 1$ for $p = 3$ (so $p - 1 = 2$). Therefore:
$$a^{2009^l} \equiv a^{2(p - 1) + 1} \equiv a^1 \equiv a \pmod{p}$$
Then you put $a = 2009$ as per your problem, and simplify the base modulo $3$, and you're done. Does this make it clearer?

I think I see it now but I do not see the reason for writing $2009^l$ in an awkward way i.e $2(p-1)+1$. :confused:

Can you please check if the following is correct?

Since $2009^l$ is odd, I write it as $2k+1$, hence,

$$2009^{2009^l}\equiv (2009)^{2k+1} \equiv (2009^k)^2\cdot 2009 \pmod 3$$

From FLT, I can write $(2009^k)^{(3-1)}\equiv 1\pmod 3$ and also, $2009\equiv 2\pmod 3$. Hence,

$$(2009^k)^2\cdot 2009 \equiv 2 \pmod 3$$

EDIT: Woops, that's actually what you did, its just that I did not see it before until I wrote it down myself, thanks Bacterius for all the help! :)

Pranav said:
The problem statement mentions nothing about that but I think it isn't necessary to solve the problem.

Ah, I just noticed that this information is hidden in the title of your thread. (Bandit)
It's the cube root of unity.
So $\omega^3 = 1$.

And I see that is what Bacterius and you have been using all along. (Wasntme)

Anyway, so now we have that:
$$x= \omega^{3k-1}$$
So which answer should it be? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Anyway, so now we have that:
$$x= \omega^{3k-1}$$
So which answer should it be? (Wondering)

$\omega^{3k-1}$ is same as $\omega^2$. Hence, $y=\omega^2/(1+\omega^2)=\omega^2/(-\omega)=-\omega$ which is the B option. :)

Related to Cube root of unity with a huge exponent

1. What is the cube root of unity with a huge exponent?

The cube root of unity with a huge exponent is a complex number that, when raised to the power of three, equals one. It is represented by the symbol ∛1 and is also known as the principal cube root of unity.

2. What is the significance of the cube root of unity with a huge exponent?

The cube root of unity with a huge exponent is significant in mathematics and physics as it has important applications in fields such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is also used in analyzing periodic and cyclical phenomena in the natural world.

3. How is the cube root of unity with a huge exponent calculated?

The cube root of unity with a huge exponent can be calculated using the formula ∛1 = cos(2πn/3) + i sin(2πn/3), where n is the exponent. Alternatively, it can be found by taking the cube root of 1 using a calculator or by using the nth root function in a spreadsheet program.

4. What are the properties of the cube root of unity with a huge exponent?

The cube root of unity with a huge exponent has several properties, including: it is a complex number, it is a root of unity, it is a solution to the equation x^3 = 1, and it has a modulus of 1. It also has a rotational symmetry of 120 degrees, which is why it is often represented on a complex plane as a point on the unit circle.

5. How is the cube root of unity with a huge exponent used in real-world applications?

The cube root of unity with a huge exponent has various real-world applications. For example, it is used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate audio and video signals, in computer graphics for creating 3D animations and models, and in cryptography for data encryption. It is also used in engineering and physics for studying wave phenomena and in music theory for understanding chord progressions and harmony.