Cup product structure of the n-torus

In summary: Y$ and $Y \times \{0\}$, and $\partial$ is an isomorphism between the corresponding subspaces of $H^{n+1}(I \times Y;R)$ (since $H^{n+1}(I \times Y;R) \cong H^n(Y;R) \oplus H^n(I;R)$).3) This follows from the fact that the inclusion map $i : Y \to T^n$ induces an isomorphism $i_* : H^n(Y;R) \to H^n(T^n;R)$, and the fact that the homology of a CW complex is generated by its $n$-cells.
ehrenfest
I have some questions about an example in Hatcher's "Algebraic Topology". This book is freely available online at http://www.math.cornell.edu/~hatcher/AT/ATchapters.html and I have attached the relevant part. My questions are about Example 3.11 where Hatcher computes the cup product structure of the n-torus.

1) In the second paragraph of this example, Hatcher seems to take the cross product of a relative homology class [itex]\alpha[/itex] and an absolute homology class [itex]\beta[/itex]. That is, he seems to use

[tex]H^1(I,\partial I;R) \times H^n(Y;R) \to H^{n+1}(I \times Y, \partial I \times Y; R)[/tex]

But above this example he only defines cross products between absolute homology groups or between relative homology groups. So, what does [itex]\alpha \cup \beta[/itex] mean?

2) I don't understand at all why Hatcher says at the top of page 211 that [itex]\delta[/itex] is an isomorphism when restricted to the copy of [itex]H^n(Y;R)[/itex] corresponding to [itex]{0} \times Y [/itex]. I thought that [itex] \delta [/itex], the connecting homomorphism, was a rather complicated object and I don't see why that doesn't require justification...

Attachments

• hatcher_210.JPG
    hatcher_210.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 503
  • hatcher_211.JPG
    hatcher_211.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
3) On page 212, Hatcher says that the subspace of H^n(T^n ; R) generated by the \alpha_i is isomorphic to H^n(Y;R). Why is this?Any help would be greatly appreciated! A:1) I believe you are right in saying that Hatcher is taking the cross product of a relative homology class $\alpha \in H^1(I,\partial I;R)$ and an absolute homology class $\beta \in H^n(Y;R)$. However, I don't think that this is technically correct. The cross product $H^a(X;R) \times H^b(Y;R) \to H^{a+b}(X \times Y;R)$ is only defined when $X$ and $Y$ are CW complexes (and in general only works for a specific pair of CW structures). In this case, $Y$ is a CW complex but $I$ is not. This is why Hatcher is careful to write that "the relative homology class $\alpha \in H^1(I,\partial I;R)$ looks like an element of $H^1(I \times Y;R)$".2) The connecting homomorphism $\delta : H^{n+1}(I \times Y, \partial I \times Y; R) \to H^n(Y;R)$ is only an isomorphism when restricted to the copy of $H^n(Y;R)$ corresponding to $\{0\} \times Y$. This is because $\delta$ is defined as the composition$$H^{n+1}(I \times Y, \partial I \times Y; R) \stackrel{\pi^*}{\longrightarrow} H^{n+1}(I \times Y;R) \stackrel{\partial}{\longrightarrow} H^n(Y;R)$$where $\pi : I \times Y \to Y$ is the projection map. Note that $\pi^*$ restricts to an isomorphism between the subspaces of $H^{n+1}(I \times Y, \partial I \times Y; R)$ corresponding to $\{0\}

Related to Cup product structure of the n-torus

1. What is the cup product structure of the n-torus?

The cup product structure of the n-torus is a mathematical concept that describes the algebraic relationships between cohomology classes on an n-dimensional torus. It is a way to measure how two cohomology classes interact with each other.

2. How is the cup product structure defined?

The cup product structure is defined using the cup product operation, which takes two cohomology classes and produces a new cohomology class. This operation is bilinear, associative, and satisfies the Leibniz rule, making it a graded-commutative ring structure.

3. What are the applications of the cup product structure of the n-torus?

The cup product structure of the n-torus has many applications in mathematics, including algebraic topology, differential geometry, and homological algebra. It is also used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of dynamical systems on n-dimensional tori.

4. Can the cup product structure be extended to other spaces?

Yes, the cup product structure can be extended to any topological space that has a well-defined cohomology theory. In fact, the cup product structure is a fundamental tool in the study of cohomology classes on various spaces, including manifolds, algebraic varieties, and Lie groups.

5. Are there any open problems related to the cup product structure of the n-torus?

Yes, there are still many open problems and conjectures related to the cup product structure of the n-torus. Some of these include generalizations to non-orientable spaces, higher-dimensional tori, and non-abelian cohomology theories. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the relationship between the cup product structure and other algebraic operations on cohomology classes.