Curie's Symmetry Principle and Heterogeneous Thermodynamic Systems

In summary, the conversation explores the potential couplings between scalar chemical reaction phenomena and vectorial phenomena, such as heat conduction and mass diffusion. It is suggested that the usual assumption of cross coefficients for such couplings only applies to isotropic systems, and that even in this case, it may be limited to isotropic and homogeneous systems. The example of active transport is used to explain how these couplings can occur, but due to the complexity of active transport, it may not always be helpful in understanding when these couplings exist. The question is raised whether these couplings can occur in heterogeneous or anisotropic systems, such as a crystal that is chemically heterogeneous or two crystals with differently oriented lattices. However, it is noted
Hypatio
I am trying to understand the (possible) couplings between scalar chemical reaction phenomena and vectorial phenomena such as heat conduction and mass diffusion. It is argued in the literature that I have read that the usual assumption of cross coefficients for scalar+vectorial phenomena only applies for isotropic systems. Other readings indicate that this is also only true for isotropic and homogeneous systems (that is, isotropy of the system structure, not just its transport properties). The example of active transport across membranes is typically used to explain how such coupling can occur, but because of the thermodynamic complexity of active transport, this example isn't helping me understand exactly when the cross coefficients for scalar+vectorial coupling can or cannot exist.

Will coupling of chemical reactions and vectorial heat and mass fluxes occur in ANY heterogeneous or anisotropic system? For instance, if a crystal is everywhere chemically heterogeneous will this coupling occur everywhere in the crystal? If there are two homogeneous crystals with differently oriented lattices will this coupling occur at their interface?

I don't understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the point is that you can't have a heterogeneous system which is everywhere isotropic.
A crystal by definition is homogeneous, so I wonder what you mean with a crystal being everywhere chemically heterogeneous.

Related to Curie's Symmetry Principle and Heterogeneous Thermodynamic Systems

1. What is Curie's Symmetry Principle?

Curie's Symmetry Principle, also known as Curie's Law, states that the magnetic susceptibility of a material is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature of a material increases, its ability to be magnetized also increases.

2. How does Curie's Symmetry Principle apply to heterogeneous thermodynamic systems?

In heterogeneous thermodynamic systems, Curie's Symmetry Principle applies to each individual component of the system. This means that the magnetic susceptibility of each component will increase with temperature, leading to changes in the overall magnetic properties of the system.

3. What is the significance of Curie's Symmetry Principle in materials science?

Curie's Symmetry Principle is an important concept in materials science as it helps explain the behavior of magnetic materials at different temperatures. It also allows for the prediction of magnetic properties of materials at varying temperatures, which is crucial for the design and development of new materials for various applications.

4. Are there any exceptions to Curie's Symmetry Principle?

Yes, there are some materials that do not follow Curie's Symmetry Principle. These include materials with strong electron correlations, such as rare-earth metals and transition metals. In these materials, the magnetic susceptibility may decrease with increasing temperature, known as anti-Curie behavior.

5. How is Curie's Symmetry Principle related to the Curie temperature?

The Curie temperature is the temperature at which a material undergoes a phase transition from a ferromagnetic to a paramagnetic state. This transition is directly related to the behavior predicted by Curie's Symmetry Principle, as the magnetic susceptibility increases as the temperature approaches the Curie temperature.