Curious about organism without a pulsating heart.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an organism having a continuous flow fluid transport system and whether or not arthropods use diffusion for this purpose. The Wikipedia article on arthropod hearts suggests that they have a muscular tube that contracts in ripples, allowing for a continuous flow of blood through paired valves along the heart. However, it is not explicitly stated whether this results in a continuous non-pulsatile flow.
HappMatt
I'm here doing some god awful physiology lab report about to write a paragraph on mean arterial blood pressure and was thinking about the pumping mechanism and was tying to think if there was any such organism which has a continuous flow fluid transport system, and if so what's the biggest one. The only thing i could think of would be small single cell organisms that use diffusion as a means of transport. Not sure if there are any organisms that actually have some sort of continuous non pulsating pump system, but thought some bright minds here may know.

Biology news on Phys.org
Don't athropods use diffusion? There are some pretty big crabs/spiders/lobsters

I just wiki'ed athropods to see what i could find out and it seems to think i mean to say arthropod. If so here is what wiki says about arthropod hearts:

The heart is typically a muscular tube that runs just under the back and for most of the length of the hemocoel. It contracts in ripples that run from rear to front, pushing blood forwards. Elastic ligaments, or small muscles, connect the heart to the body wall and expand sections that are not being squeezed by the heart muscle. Along the heart run a series of paired ostia, non-return valves that allow blood to enter the heart but prevent it from leaving before it reaches the front.

So it appears as though they may be able to sustain a continuous non pulsitile flow although that is not stated.

Related to Curious about organism without a pulsating heart.

1. What organisms are capable of surviving without a pulsating heart?

There are several organisms that can survive without a pulsating heart, including insects, some species of fish, and certain types of worms.

2. How do these organisms survive without a pulsating heart?

These organisms have developed alternative methods of circulating oxygen and nutrients throughout their bodies. Some use a system of tubes or vessels, while others rely on diffusion.

3. Is a pulsating heart necessary for survival?

No, a pulsating heart is not necessary for survival. While it is a vital organ for many organisms, there are some that have evolved to survive without it.

4. Do these organisms have any other unique adaptations?

Yes, organisms without pulsating hearts often have unique adaptations to compensate for the lack of a circulatory system. For example, some insects have a specialized respiratory system, and some fish have a swim bladder to help with buoyancy.

5. Can these organisms still experience health problems without a pulsating heart?

Yes, just like any other organism, these creatures can still experience health problems. However, their unique adaptations allow them to survive and thrive without a pulsating heart.