How can the curl be calculated in polar or spherical coordinates?

In summary: I don't think you get the right results because you don't account for change in direction. But I have to try this again (last time I tried, was a when I took calculus).
Amok
Can anyone show me how you get the curl in polar or spherical coordinates starting from the definitions in cartesian coordianates? I haven't been able to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Serena said:
Or do you really need to derive them from cartesian?

Yes, I've never seen that done rigorously anywhere, unfortunately.

Amok said:
Yes, I've never seen that done rigorously anywhere, unfortunately.

Well, someone worked it out here:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabla_in_verschillende_assenstelsels

Alternately, you can apply the definition of curl

5df3ecf9d5260ec2cd863b054e15113d.png

to derive it.

To do it, you need to define rectangular curves matching with the coordinates of infinitesimal size, and work it out. This starts with a good drawing of what cylindrical and spherical coordinates look like.

This is the easiest, shortest, and most elegant way.
However, I haven't seen someone do it that way on the internet yet.

I like Serena said:
Well, someone worked it out here:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabla_in_verschillende_assenstelsels

Alternately, you can apply the definition of curl

5df3ecf9d5260ec2cd863b054e15113d.png

to derive it.

To do it, you need to define rectangular curves matching with the coordinates of infinitesimal size, and work it out. This starts with a good drawing of what cylindrical and spherical coordinates look like.

This is the easiest, shortest, and most elegant way.
However, I haven't seen someone do it that way on the internet yet.

But is there a general way to go about this? I mean, I could ask the same question about the gradient. Do I have to start drawing stuff every time?

Amok said:
But is there a general way to go about this? I mean, I could ask the same question about the gradient. Do I have to start drawing stuff every time?

Ah, but this is a general way. That is the beauty of it.
You have to draw it only once, and then you can derive the gradient, the divergence, and the curl.
This works for any coordinate system. Note that curl is the most work.

You could try cartesian coordinates first to get the hang of it.
Then cylindrical, and if you get that, spherical.[EDIT]Note that, as I said before, someone did the derivations on this page:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabla_i..._assenstelsels

That is, without drawing any pictures, but just doing the math.
Perhaps you didn't see, because the derivation is done below the table.[/EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Serena said:
Ah, but this is a general way. That is the beauty of it.
You have to draw it only once, and then you can derive the gradient, the divergence, and the curl.
This works for any coordinate system. Note that curl is the most work.

You could try cartesian coordinates first to get the hang of it.
Then cylindrical, and if you get that, spherical.

Yes, I get it, thank you. Anyway, divergence and laplacian are very easy to derive. They are not vector quantities so it's not harder than computing a jacobian.

Amok said:
Yes, I get it, thank you. Anyway, divergence and laplacian are very easy to derive. They are not vector quantities so it's not harder than computing a jacobian.

Well, if you look at curl one component at a time, it's not a vector quantity either.
And that is the way to do it.

I like Serena said:
Well, if you look at curl one component at a time, it's not a vector quantity either.
And that is the way to do it.

I don't think you get the right results because you don't account for change in direction. But I have to try this again (last time I tried, was a when I took calculus).

Related to How can the curl be calculated in polar or spherical coordinates?

What is curl in spherical coordinates?

In mathematics and physics, curl is a vector operator that describes the rotation of a vector field in three-dimensional space. In spherical coordinates, the curl of a vector field is given by the cross product of the spherical unit vectors and the partial derivatives of the components of the vector field with respect to the spherical coordinates.

How is curl calculated in spherical coordinates?

The curl of a vector field in spherical coordinates is calculated using the formula:

∇ x F = (∂Fz/∂φ - ∂Fφ/∂z)er + (1/ρ)(∂(Fρsinφ)/∂z - ∂Fz/∂ρ)eφ + (1/ρ)(∂Fρ/∂φ - ∂Fφ/∂ρ)ez

where ∇ is the del operator, F is the vector field, and er, eφ, and ez are the unit vectors in the radial, azimuthal, and polar directions, respectively.

What is the physical interpretation of curl in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, the curl of a vector field represents the magnitude and direction of the rotation of the vector field at a particular point. It is a measure of the local angular momentum of the vector field and can be used to determine the direction of the flow of a fluid or the direction of a magnetic field.

How does curl relate to other vector operations in spherical coordinates?

Curl is related to gradient and divergence in spherical coordinates through the vector identity:

∇ x (∇F) = 0

This means that the curl of the gradient of a scalar field is always zero, which is a useful property in solving certain types of physical problems.

What are some applications of curl in spherical coordinates?

Curl in spherical coordinates has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used to describe the motion of fluids, such as in fluid dynamics and aerodynamics. It is also used in electromagnetism to calculate the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire or a permanent magnet. Additionally, curl is used in the study of celestial mechanics to describe the rotation of planets and stars.

Back