Current Controlled Current Source Help Maybe other things?

In summary, it is not possible to make all four LED's in a series function together because they share a common anode. You can either drive each LED individually or use a CCCS to scale the current and drive four different constant current sources.
f34r
Hey,

So I'm making a really cool RGB LED project, and I need four of the RGB's to be in series. Now, as I understand this it's impossible since all three share an Anode.

The LED's are going to be controlled via MAX6966, it's a PWM constant current source for the LEDs. I'm treating this kind of as a black box, i have no idea how it works (i understand data, registers, etc.) but I'm assuming that whatever i hook up to the output of it, it's going to drive it at 20mA regardless of the voltage on the other and and what is connected to it.

::::THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP::::
I would like to be able to drive four LED's from one output, i.e. connect the LED's in series so that they all share the 20mA current and all light up the same. However, we've established this isn't possible.

Assumption 1:

If i were to connect all the anodes to high, say a +15/20 Voltage source, and then connect each of the colors together to the outputs of the corresponding output on the LED driver, would it functionally be equivalent to having 3 sets of 4 LED's in parallel (despite them all sharing the common anode)? I could also ask this as: If i were to hook them up like this would the 20 mA of current that the MAX6966 delivers be evenly split amongst the four LED's in parallel? My basic knowledge of circuits leads me to say YES! if I am wrong, then we need another fix!

Assumption 2:
Assuming assumption 1 is TRUE, this brings me to my next assumption. Since it's parallel, if the current divides evenly amongst the four LED's (Assumption 1) then if I could get a current controlled current source that would basically scale the current by 4, so 20mA becomes 80mA which is then split evenly between the four LED's as 20mA.

So if 1 and 2 are true, I'd need a CCCS that takes the input current and scales it by 4. How do I do that? Is it even possible?

I could in theory drive each of the four LED's individually, but then I would have to be sending data EVEN faster than I already am and I'm slightly worried that it's not going to be fast enough as it is. I'd also need more MAX6966's and that's not on my list of things to do :-p

Engineering news on Phys.org
Actually, this doesn't even need to be variable, it just needs to be able to amplify the current to 80mA because it's PWM, sorry wasn't thinking.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand you question. Do you want to drive 4 tricolor LEDs in series?
If you can maintain 20 mA to each individual LED, why do they have to be in series?

Yes:
I want to drive 4 tricolor LED's in series. But in order to drive them in series don't you need to connect A-C-A-C...etc. and since they share a common anode wouldn't that make it impossible?

I would like them to be in series because I want to four LEDs to be functionally one single, very bright LED. If it's impossible I don't have to do it, but it would make my life a lot easier if there were a way.

Is it not possible to make them all function together even though they are connected to different outputs of the IC and the fourth LED controlled through a second IC?

Attachments

• MAX6966.jpg
    MAX6966.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 394
So, I think I've figured it out:

Since the IC is PWM, the current is always 0 or 20mA. I can just use a resistor and turn this into a Voltage source that varies between 0 and some static value that I want. I can then use this voltage source to drive a different constant current source that's either 0 (when the voltage is 0) or 80mA (when the other current is 20mA and the voltage is the right number). So basically if anyone knows now if hooking up the RGB's the way Im' thinking will evenly split the current amongst the four of them?

skeptic2 said:
Is it not possible to make them all function together even though they are connected to different outputs of the IC and the fourth LED controlled through a second IC?

Yea, but I only have a finite number of the IC's :(. I'm trying to make an RGB matrix of 25 squares for an interactive table. I'm already having to control 75 (3 colors per square) LED's. I think 300 different inputs would make my brain fry.

Related to Current Controlled Current Source Help Maybe other things?

1. What is a current controlled current source?

A current controlled current source is an electronic circuit or device that generates a current output that is directly proportional to a control current input. It is commonly used in electronic systems to provide a stable and precise current output for various applications.

2. How does a current controlled current source work?

A current controlled current source works by using a control current input to adjust the output current. This is typically achieved through the use of transistors or operational amplifiers, which regulate the output current based on the control current input. The output current is kept constant even if there are changes in the input voltage or load resistance.

3. What are some common applications of current controlled current sources?

Current controlled current sources are commonly used in electronic circuits and systems for applications such as biasing transistors, powering sensors, and providing a stable current for analog-to-digital converters. They are also used in battery charging and LED driving circuits, as well as in control systems for motors and actuators.

4. What are the advantages of using a current controlled current source?

One of the main advantages of a current controlled current source is its ability to provide a stable and precise current output. It is also able to maintain this output even in the presence of changing input voltages or load conditions. Additionally, current controlled current sources are relatively inexpensive and easy to implement in electronic circuits.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a current controlled current source?

One limitation of current controlled current sources is their dependency on the control current input. If the control current is not stable or accurate, it can affect the output current and lead to errors in the circuit. Additionally, current controlled current sources may not be suitable for high-power applications, as they typically have limited output current capabilities.