Current from stream of particles

In summary, an α (Alpha) particle is made up of two neutrons and two protons with a charge of +2e. It is typically measured in millions of electron volts (MeV) and a steady stream with an energy of 20 MeV and current of 2 μA will have 30287 particles passing through a point in 5 seconds. In a 15 cm length of the beam, there are approximately 30287 particles at any given instant. To accelerate a particle from rest to 20 MeV, an electrical potential difference of 10000000 V is needed.
jehan60188

Homework Statement

An α (Alpha) particle consists of two neutrons and two protons bound together into a single particle with a charge of +2e. We normally measure the kinetic energy of such particles in millions "electron volts" or MeV. (1 eV = 1.6 X 10-19J).

Assume a steady stream of α particles travels with a constant energy of 20 MeV and carries a current of 2 μA.

a) If the beam is directed perpendicular to a plane target, how many α's will strike this target in 5 seconds?
b) At any given instant, how many α's are in a 15 cm length of the beam?
c) Through what electrical potential diffence [sic] is it necessary to accelerate each α from rest to bring it to the energy of 20 MeV?

Homework Equations

v = ir
r = p*l/a
E = .5*mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the velocity of the particles.
But I don't know how many particles go through a point in 1 second.

if I can get a, b falls into place.

but I have no idea how to start c

Physics news on Phys.org
jehan60188 said:
I have the velocity of the particles.
But I don't know how many particles go through a point in 1 second.

That is what the current gives you. 1 Ampere = 1 Coulomb/second

*facepalm* duh!

the current on the stream is 2 uA, so we have 2*10^-6 *1/(2e) := N1 particles going through a point
the unit is Particles/S
multiply that by 5, to get the number of particles passing through a point in 5 seconds

the velocity is about 30000000 m/s. so, it takes .15/3e7 seconds to cover 15 cm
in .15/3e7 seconds, there are (.15/3e6)*(N1) = 30287 particles going through a point

lastly, to bring a particle to V = U/q, so V = 20 MeV / (2eV) = 10000000

jehan60188 said:
*facepalm* duh!

Happens to me all the time ;)

I can provide a response to your question. To answer part a), we can use the formula for current, I = Q/t, where Q is the charge and t is the time. In this case, we know the current is 2 μA (2 x 10^-6 A) and the time is 5 seconds. We also know that the charge of an α particle is +2e, where e is the elementary charge (1.6 x 10^-19 C). Therefore, we can calculate the number of α particles that will strike the target in 5 seconds:

I = Q/t
2 x 10^-6 = (N x 2e)/5
N = (2 x 10^-6 x 5)/2e
N = 5 x 10^-6 / 2 x 1.6 x 10^-19
N = 5 x 10^-6 / 3.2 x 10^-19
N = 1.5625 x 10^13

Therefore, approximately 1.56 x 10^13 α particles will strike the target in 5 seconds.

For part b), we can use the formula for current density, J = I/A, where I is the current and A is the cross-sectional area. We know the current is 2 μA and the area is the cross-sectional area of the beam, which we can approximate as a circle with radius r = 15 cm. Therefore, the area is A = πr^2 = π(0.15)^2 = 0.0707 cm^2. Converting this to m^2, we get A = 7.07 x 10^-5 m^2. Plugging these values into the formula for current density, we get:

J = I/A
J = (2 x 10^-6)/(7.07 x 10^-5)
J = 2 x 10^-6 / 7.07 x 10^-5
J = 2/7.07 x 10^-11
J = 2.83 x 10^5 A/m^2

Therefore, at any given instant, there are approximately 2.83 x 10^5 α particles in a 15 cm length of the beam.

For part c), we can use the formula for kinetic energy, E =

Related to Current from stream of particles

What is current from stream of particles?

Current from stream of particles is the flow of electric charge carried by a stream of charged particles, such as electrons or ions, through a conductive material or vacuum. It is also known as electric current.

How is current from stream of particles measured?

The unit of measure for electric current is ampere (A), which is defined as the flow of one coulomb of charge per second. Current can be measured using an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit to measure the flow of charge.

What is the relationship between current from stream of particles and voltage?

Current and voltage are directly proportional, meaning that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, and vice versa. This is known as Ohm's law, which states that current (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R).

What factors affect the current from stream of particles?

The current from stream of particles is affected by various factors, including the number of charged particles, the speed of the particles, the nature of the conductive material, and the presence of external influences such as magnetic fields.

What are some practical applications of current from stream of particles?

Current from stream of particles has various applications in everyday life, such as in electronic devices, electric power systems, and telecommunications. It is also used in scientific research, such as in particle accelerators and ion implantation techniques.