Current Limiting: Charging Motorcycles in Cold Weather

• Thread starter MrDieselT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the individual is looking for a way to hook their motorcycles to their truck in order to charge the battery and warm them up in extremely cold temperatures. They are specifically looking for a way to limit the current to 10 Amps for each bike, as they both have LIFEPO4 Batteries. They have considered using an inverter in the truck's bed to run a LIFEPO4 charger, but are hoping for a better solution. They are seeking guidance and clarification on the specifics of their setup and potential solutions.
MrDieselT
I have an odd application. I Need to be able to hook my motorcycles to my truck to charge the battery an warm them up I ride them in super cold (-35*F) and need to find way to hook the truck to the bikes but only limit the current to 10 Amps to each bike. They both have LIFEPO4 Batteries. The only sure fire way to do it it to hook up an inverter in the bed and run a LIFEPO4 charger from that but I know there's got to be a better way. Please point me in the right direction.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't help you, but I can ask questions that might assist others.

You want to charge the batteries so that in the process the batteries get warmed? Or is there some other component on the bike you need to electrically heat, also? These are starter batteries, or are the bikes fully electric? What is the nominal voltage of the batteries? What is their AHr rating? Is there only one battery per bike? What voltage/s do you have available on the truck? How many bikes do you want to charge simultaneously? What is the major problem you have with using an inverter to power the charger? Is the 10A limit a consideration of the bikes, or of the truck?

Related to Current Limiting: Charging Motorcycles in Cold Weather

1. Why is current limiting necessary when charging motorcycles in cold weather?

Current limiting is necessary because cold temperatures can decrease the efficiency of a motorcycle's battery, causing it to require more current to charge. This can lead to overheating and damage to the battery if not properly limited.

2. How does current limiting work when charging a motorcycle in cold weather?

Current limiting works by controlling the amount of current that is sent to the battery during charging. This is usually done through a regulator or controller that monitors the temperature and adjusts the current accordingly.

3. What happens if current limiting is not used when charging a motorcycle in cold weather?

If current limiting is not used, the battery may receive too much current and overheat, potentially causing damage. It could also lead to a shorter battery lifespan and decreased performance.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using current limiting when charging a motorcycle in cold weather?

One potential drawback is that the charging process may take longer with current limiting, as the current is limited to prevent overheating. However, this is a necessary trade-off to protect the battery from damage.

5. Does current limiting only apply to charging in cold weather?

No, current limiting can also be used when charging in hot weather to prevent overcharging and damage to the battery. It is important to use current limiting in extreme temperatures to ensure the longevity and performance of the battery.