Current Outlook for Medical Physics?

In summary: From an employer's perspective, it's a little more complicated. If you're already in a position (like me) where you're leaning towards a PhD, it's not really an option.On the whole, I think they're a good idea, but I don't think they're a panacea.Hi Spiral1183,Thank you for your input and sharing your experience with DMPs. I feel like it's important to have different perspectives on things, so I appreciate your input.In summary, the field of medical physics appears to be doing well, with a number of career options available to those with a masters degree. However, a PhD is not necessary to be successful in the
Spiral1183
Hi all,

I'm a current full-time employee in a calibration laboratory with a b.s. in applied physics. I see in my current position there is a ceiling for career opportunities and am looking to return to school for my masters. I feel that I would enjoy the clinical side of things, I consider myself to be a people person with an adaptive personality to those I work with.

Will a masters in medical physics really expand job opportunities and earning potential, or is it a field where a PhD is now more or less mandatory? I've tried reading past (heated) discussions on whether the field is over/undersaturated, but they are old and I imagine the landscape of the job market is much different than 5-7 years ago.

I haven't ruled out pursuing a PhD, but at 33 with family and financial obligations, I stress that I could dedicate the necessary time for my studies without stretching my degree out until I'm 50 (sarcasm, I'd hope).

I plan to discuss my options with some of our division heads at my institution but feel some may be biased on the subject. I would welcome any fresh perspectives from recent graduates, those currently in the job market, and anyone in the field who has seen the evolution of physicist positions over the years.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Spiral1183,

I fall into the latter category I suppose. In general I'd say the outlook is pretty good, but it's not a meal ticket.

If you want to look up some recent numbers, you can check out CAMPEP's graduate program report and residency report. It looks like 2015 is the latest year for which they have some numbers. Among MSc graduates it looks like just over half are ending up in either a residency position (28%) or a junior Medical Physicist position (25%). Only about 5% are "still seeking employment." The rest are either going on to do another degree (13% - in most cases this is probably a PhD), or have found some other position (13% - examples would be radiation safety officers, technical support (not as bad as it seems), technical sales, research and development, or research assistant positions), or are in the "other" category (16% - maternity leave, left the field, etc.) The odds of getting into a residency increase for PhD graduates, with about half of them getting into some kind of residency. I wouldn't say a PhD is necessary. It does seem to offer more flexibility, and it's the way to go if you want to do anything academic (teaching/research - not that MScs can't do those, but the PhD really helps).

Interestingly in the residency report there doesn't seem to be much data on post-residency employment. There is a slide that shows most residents are employed within one month of completing the residency, but that seems like an odd bit of data to me because there's nothing about what that employment is. From my perspective (I'm in Canada) I haven't seen residency graduates go wanting for Medical Physics jobs, but the programs I'm most familiar with tend to be very selective (1 resident per year) and produce Medical Physicists with highly desirable skill sets.

In general growth in the field of oncology has been slow, but steady over recent years. Numbers I've heard are around 4% per year - but that's based on increases in cancer incidence. The slower economy has forced many centres into "do more with less" modes of operation. About a decade or so ago, there was a huge boom in the field. As IMRT, VMAT and onboard imaging became popular, the role of clinical physicists expanded greatly. But that role has more-or-less levelled out again and it's unlikely that we're going to see another technological boom in the near future (although that's just my opinion).

Anyways, hopefully that gives you something useful.

Likes bryceisbored
Hi Choppy,

Thank you for the information and links, I will give them a look over to help me with my decisions.

Referring to residency programs and their selection process, what is your take on DMP programs? From my initial research they sound somewhat like a masters in which you pay for a spot in residency vs. receiving a stipend. I know only of a handful of institutions currently that offer that degree, do you feel it was created as a way to alleviate the bottleneck with limited residency spots?

As I understand it, the DMP programs are pretty much that - an MSc with a residency tacked on that you have to pay for.

From a student's point of view, I can see why they're appealing. You avoid the uncertainty of getting a residency after investing a minimum of two years of your life into the field. And even from a professional point of view there are arguments in favour of tying the two aspects of the training together rather than introducing a bottleneck between them. There is also the argument that the PhD route is over-training people who will end up in clinical positions and end up doing very little research over the course of their careers because many of the MSc medical physics do the job extremely well.

My concerns about the DMP programs are the following.

The first is that residents need to be paid for their work. A residency is not exclusively a training position like a internship. Medical physics residents do a lot of (supervised) work for the departments they're in. They commission new equipment, develop new tools and procedures, take on a lot of the day-to-day quality control measurements, they check plans, etc. All of this requires proper training and vetting of course, but overall a resident should be a net gain for a department. And that needs to be recognized and reimbursed.

Secondly, if the residency is just treated as a series of training modules, labs and job shadows, or if the presence of the resident is a net loss for the department, then the resident is not gaining the full range of clinical experience that residencies were set up to provide.

There is also an argument in favour of a bottleneck for the profession overall. Not every student is going to make a good clinician. If you have a student who pays his or her tuition in such a program, there is an obligation to put them through the clinical training portion of it without that same opportunity to decline them if you're not confident they will be able to handle the work with the degree of professionalism and maturity that they need (even if their marks ate good).

FAQ: Current Outlook for Medical Physics?

1. What is the current job outlook for medical physicists?

The job outlook for medical physicists is very promising. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of medical physicists is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is due to the increasing use of radiation therapy for cancer treatment and the aging population, which will lead to a higher demand for medical imaging and radiation therapy services.

2. What are the typical job responsibilities for medical physicists?

Medical physicists are responsible for ensuring the safe and effective use of radiation in medical procedures. They may be involved in the development, testing, and maintenance of medical equipment, as well as the planning and delivery of radiation treatments for patients. They also play a key role in quality assurance and radiation safety in healthcare facilities.

3. What education and training is required to become a medical physicist?

To become a medical physicist, one typically needs a graduate degree in medical physics, physics, or a related field. Many positions also require a residency or internship program in medical physics, as well as certification from the American Board of Radiology or the American Board of Medical Physics.

4. What skills and qualities are important for a career in medical physics?

Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and strong communication skills are essential for a career in medical physics. Additionally, a solid understanding of physics and mathematics, as well as computer skills and knowledge of medical imaging and radiation therapy equipment, are important for success in this field.

5. What opportunities for advancement are available in the field of medical physics?

Advancement opportunities for medical physicists may include moving into supervisory or management roles, conducting research, or teaching at the university level. With additional education and training, medical physicists may also be able to pursue careers in medical device development or healthcare administration.