Current Proportionality and Thevenin Equivalence

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear circuit with a 0.9 K\Omega resistor and a current I of 10mA when Vs = 100V. Part (a) involves using the proportionality property to predict I for different values of Vs. Part (b) uses Thevenin's theorem to find I in terms of Vs and calculate it for different values of Vs. Thevenin's theorem requires finding the Thevenin voltage and resistance by removing the 900 ohm resistor and using voltage divider and parallel resistor calculations. The resulting equation is then used to find the current with a 0.9 kohm load attached.
Novark

Homework Statement

4010728262_cb787d2cf8_o.jpg

For the linear circuit shown, given that the current I in the 0.9 K[tex]\Omega[/tex] is
10mA when Vs = 100V:

(a) Predict I using the proportionality property for: Vs = 25V, -12V, and 145 V respectively.

(b) Use Thevenin’s theorem across terminals a and b. Find I in terms of Vs and hence calculate I for the various values of Vs in (a).

Homework Equations

V = IR
Thevenin's Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to begin with this one. I'm lost for part (a), and for part (b), while I understand Thevenin's theorem, I'm just not seeing how to apply it to branch a-b.

If anyone can help me get going with this question, I would be very grateful.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Thevenin part needs you to take out the 900 ohm resistor and see how the rest of the circuit would behave without it.

So, you could work out the voltages at a and b and get the difference between them if the 900 ohm wasn't there.

This is the Thevenin voltage.

To get the equivalent resistance in series with the Thevenin voltage you have to get the resistance looking into a and b without the power supply present (but shorted). This puts the resistors on each side of the circuit in parallel with each other, but in series with the other pair of parallel resistors. Don't forget the resistor values are in K's.

Knowing the Thevenin voltage and resistance, you can now put loads between a and b and see what current would flow.

Try it for 100 volts and see if you get the answer given for I. Then try the other volatges asked for in the question.

I is directly proportional to Vs

therefore I=BVs where B is a constant
the initial values were I=10mA when Vs=100V
10m=B(100)
B=(10m)/100
B=0.1m

thus I=(0.1m)Vs

Vs=25 I=(0.1m)*25 = 2.5mA

Vs=-12 I=(0.1m)*(-12) =-1.2mA

Vs=145 I=(0.1m)*145 = 14.5mA

using Thevenin :

to find Rth, Short the Vs voltage source and open 0.9kohm resistor

Rth = [9k//1k] + [3k//2k] = 2.1kohm

to find Vth, place the Vs voltage source back while
0.9kohm resistor remains open

using voltage divider : voltage drop on 9kohm resistor
V1 = (9k/10k) * Vs =0.9Vs

voltage drop on 3kohm resistor
V1 = (3k/5k) * Vs =0.6Vs

when refer to bottom loop, the equation below is derived

-0.9Vs + Vth + 0.6Vs = 0
Vth = 0.3Vs

use the thevenin equivalent circuit to attach with 0.9kohm load :
Rth(2.1kohm) is in series with 0.9kohm resistor therefore the
equivalent resistor is 3kohm

I = 0.3Vs/3k
I = (0.1m)Vs which is consistent with proportionality property

just plug in the different values of Vs and voila youll get the answer

Related to Current Proportionality and Thevenin Equivalence

What is current proportionality?

Current proportionality is a fundamental principle in electrical engineering that states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it. This means that if the voltage is doubled, the current will also double.

What is Thevenin equivalence?

Thevenin equivalence is a method used to simplify complex electrical circuits into simpler equivalent circuits. It involves replacing the original circuit with a voltage source and a resistor in series, where the voltage source is equal to the open-circuit voltage at the terminals of the original circuit and the resistor is equal to the equivalent resistance of the original circuit.

How is Thevenin equivalence used in circuit analysis?

Thevenin equivalence is used to simplify complex circuits into more manageable and understandable forms. This makes it easier to analyze and design circuits for specific purposes. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving multiple resistors, voltage sources, and current sources.

What is the difference between Thevenin and Norton equivalents?

Thevenin and Norton equivalents are two different methods used to simplify complex electrical circuits. The main difference is that while Thevenin equivalence uses a voltage source and a resistor in series, Norton equivalence uses a current source and a resistor in parallel. Both methods provide the same equivalent circuit, but the choice between the two is based on the specific problem at hand.

How do you determine the equivalent resistance in a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The equivalent resistance in a Thevenin equivalent circuit can be determined by shorting all voltage sources and open-circuiting all current sources in the original circuit. The equivalent resistance is then calculated by taking the resistance seen at the terminals of the original circuit. This can be done by using Ohm's law or by combining resistors in series and parallel.