Current required to lift a wire in a magnetic field

In summary, a wire of mass 3.0g and length 60cm placed on a table parallel to the East-West direction will require a current of 924.5 Amps flowing from West to East to lift off the surface of the table, assuming the Earth's magnetic field has a strength of 5.3x10^(-5) Tesla and is parallel to the ground. However, the Earth's magnetic field is not always parallel to the ground, so the required current may vary depending on location. This current may seem large, but it is necessary to overcome the force of gravity on the wire. Additionally, this situation is not common in everyday life.
uibble

Homework Statement

A wire of mass 3.0g and length 60cm is placed on a table parallel to the East-West direction. If a current flows through the wire from West to East, how large must the current be to cause the wire to lift off the surface of the table? (The Earth's magnetic field has strength 5.3x10^(-5) Tesla.)

Homework Equations

F = ILBsin(q) (magnetic force on a current carrying conductor).

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnitude of the force generated by the interaction between the current and the magnetic field must be at least as large as the force due to gravity acting on the wire. The right-hand rule tells me that if the current flows through the wire from West to East, the magnetic force must act vertically upwards. Thus I'm looking for the value of the current, I, that satisfies

ILBsin(90) > mg

Rearranging this gives me

I > mg / LB = (2.94x10^(-2)) / (0.60 x 5.3 x 10^(-5))

I calculate this to be 924.5 Amps. That seems like a huge current. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your work looks correct. Yes, it would take a very large current.

Your calculation assumes that the Earth's B field is parallel to the ground where this wire is located. I think that's what you were supposed to assume. But in most places on the Earth the Earth's magnetic field is not parallel to the ground. It has a "dip" angle that gets larger as you move toward the Earth's magnetic poles.

Yes, that observation about the direction of the magnetic field was given in the question and I should have stated it in the template. Sorry!

I'm new to all of this and I'm surprised that it takes such a large current to move such a light wire. I'm used to 13A fuses and so forth on domestic appliances here in the UK and so a 1000A current seems enormous to me.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, 1000 A is not common. But neither is levitating a wire using the Earth's magnetic field :oldsmile:

Related to Current required to lift a wire in a magnetic field

1. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the amount of current needed to lift a wire?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly related to the amount of current needed to lift a wire. The stronger the magnetic field, the more current is required to overcome the force of the field and lift the wire.

2. Does the length of the wire affect the amount of current required to lift it in a magnetic field?

Yes, the length of the wire does play a role in the amount of current needed to lift it in a magnetic field. Longer wires require more current to generate enough force to lift them, while shorter wires require less current.

3. Can the type of metal used in the wire affect the amount of current needed to lift it?

Yes, the type of metal used in the wire can impact the amount of current required to lift it in a magnetic field. Metals with higher electrical conductivity, such as copper, require less current compared to metals with lower conductivity, such as iron.

4. How does the angle of the wire with respect to the magnetic field affect the current required to lift it?

The angle of the wire with respect to the magnetic field does have an impact on the amount of current needed to lift it. As the angle decreases, more current is required to lift the wire due to the increased force of the magnetic field acting on the wire.

5. Is there a maximum current that can be applied to lift a wire in a magnetic field?

Yes, there is a maximum current that can be applied to lift a wire in a magnetic field. This maximum current is dependent on factors such as the strength of the magnetic field and the properties of the wire, and exceeding it can result in damage to the wire or equipment.

Back