Currents & Multiplets: Understanding the Algebra of SU(N)

• Thread starter Sombrero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between currents, charges, and particles in the context of group SU (N). The conclusion is that particles sitting in these currents form a multiplet of some representation of this group. The correctness of this statement is supported by the fact that the Lagrangian used to derive the currents is chosen to be SU (N)-invariant, and the fields used must belong to specific SU (N) multiplets.
Sombrero
Dear Gents,

I have one question:

Can I say that if I I have some currents, charges form these currents (integrals over time components) and these charges form a close algebra of some group SU (N), then I say that the particles sitting in these currents (all possible incoming/outgoing particles) form a multiplet of some representation of this group SU (N).

If I am correct based on what can I state that?

If not correct what do I say wrong?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Sombrero said:
Dear Gents,
I have one question:
Can I say that if I I have some currents, charges form these currents (integrals over time components) and these charges form a close algebra of some group SU (N), then I say that the particles sitting in these currents (all possible incoming/outgoing particles) form a multiplet of some representation of this group SU (N).
If I am correct based on what can I state that?
If not correct what do I say wrong?
Thanks a lot

Yes, you are right. However, I would not use the phrase "particles sitting in currents".
In QFT, particles are represented by vectors in the Fock space of states (remember the one-particle state [itex] |p>={a}^\dagger (p)|0> [/itex]), while currents (like the fields) are operators.
The reason why you are right is trivial, because we know this fact even before deriving the form the currents.
As you might know, we derive the currents from a Lagrangian. We costruct this Lagrangian to be, for example, SU(n)-invariant. And to do this, the fields must belong to a certain SU(n) multiplets.
For example, to construct SU(2) invariant Lagrangian, we use fields belong to;
1) the fundamental representation (the {2}=SU(2)-doublet), for example; N=(p,n) or q=(u,d).
2) the adjoint representation (the {3}=SU(2)-triplet), examples; the pions or vector bosons.
So the total SU(2)-invariant Lagrangian will be;
L({2}) + L({3}) + L(int.of {2} & {3}),
and when you derive the total current from this Lagrangian, you will find the {2} and the {3} "sitting" in it.

regards

sam

Last edited:
for your answers!

Dear ,

Your understanding is correct. If you have a set of currents that form a closed algebra under some group SU(N), then the particles associated with these currents will form a multiplet of a representation of this group. This is because the charges associated with the currents are the generators of the group, and the particles are the states that transform under this group.

You can state this based on the fact that the algebra of the currents is isomorphic to the algebra of the group SU(N). This means that the structure of the currents and the group are the same, and therefore the particles associated with the currents will form a multiplet of the group's representation.

I hope this answers your question. Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

Related to Currents & Multiplets: Understanding the Algebra of SU(N)

What is an SU(N) current?

An SU(N) current is a type of gauge field in quantum field theory that describes the interactions between particles. It is represented by a Lie algebra, which is a mathematical structure used to describe and analyze abstract objects.

What is the algebra of SU(N) currents?

The algebra of SU(N) currents is a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior and properties of SU(N) currents. It involves complex numbers and matrix operations, and is used to describe the symmetries and transformations of these currents.

What are multiplets in SU(N) currents?

Multiplets are a type of representation used in the algebra of SU(N) currents. They are sets of particles that transform into each other under the action of SU(N) transformations. Multiplets can be used to classify and organize particles based on their symmetries.

How is SU(N) algebra used in particle physics?

SU(N) algebra is used to describe the fundamental interactions between particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. It helps to explain the symmetries and transformations of these particles and their interactions, and allows for the prediction of new particles and their properties.

What is the significance of SU(N) currents in physics?

SU(N) currents are important in physics because they play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and interactions of particles. They are a fundamental part of the Standard Model of particle physics and have been used to make many successful predictions and explain experimental data.