Curvature/surface area of a tractrix

• Thread starter WendysRules
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the given line element leads to a constant negative curvature of ##\frac{-1}{a^2}## and the surface area of the upper half of the tractrix is ##2\pi a^2##.
WendysRules

Homework Statement

Given ## ds^2 = a^2cot^2 \alpha d\alpha^2 + a^2sin^2 \alpha d\phi^2## where a is some constant. Find:
a) The gaussian curvature
b) the surface area of the upper half of the tractrix

Homework Equations

Stoke theorem: ## \int_S dF = \int_{\partial S} F ##
and for curvature, we know the ## \Omega^1_2 = K\omega ## where K is the gaussian curvature, and omega is the basis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll start with the curvature: So to get ## \Omega^1_2 ## I need to first find ##\omega^1_2##
So, given my line element, I see that my basis is ##\{ a\cot \alpha d alpha, a \sin \alpha d\phi \}##

So, my torsion conditions are: 1) ## 0 = d\sigma^1+\omega^1_1 \wedge \sigma^1+\omega^1_2 \wedge \sigma^2 ##
2) ## 0 = d\sigma^2+ \omega^2_1 \wedge sigma^1 + \omega^2_2 \wedge sigma^2 ##
Plugging in our basis and simplifying, we see that: 1) ## 0 = 0 + 0 + \omega^1_2 \wedge a\sin\alpha d\phi## which forces ##\omega^1_2 = b d\phi## for some b.
Thus, 2 becomes : ## 0 = a\cos\alpha d\alpha \wedge d\phi + \omega^2_1 \wedge a\cot\alpha d\alpha + 0## which becomes ## 0 = a\cos\alpha d\alpha \wedge d\phi + ab\cot\alpha d\alpha \wedge d\phi ## which forces ##b= -sin\alpha##. Thus, ## \omega^1_2 = -sin\alpha d\phi ## this makes ##\Omega^1_2 = d\omega^1_2 = d(-sin\alpha d\phi) = -cos \alpha d\alpha \wedge d\phi## since ##\omega = \sigma^1 \wedge \sigma^2 ## we see that ## \Omega^2_1 = \frac{-cos\alpha}{a^2cot\alpha sin\alpha} d\alpha \wedge d\phi## which would make ## K = \frac{-1}{a^2}## giving us a constant negative curvature.

b) This one, in my opinion, is more difficult. My boundaries will be ## \alpha \in \left[0, \frac{\pi}{2} \right]## and ##\phi \in \left[0, 2\pi \right ) ## So, for my F, I know that ## F= \vec{F} \cdot d\vec {r} ## where I can either convert to Cartesian, or try to just say that ## \vec{F} = F_{\alpha} \hat {\alpha} + F_{\phi} \hat {\phi} ## and ## d\vec {r} = a \cot \alpha d\alpha \hat {\alpha} + a \sin \alpha d\phi \hat {\phi} ## making ## F = a F_{\alpha} \cot \alpha d\alpha + a F_{\phi} \sin \alpha d\phi ## which would make ## dF = \left( a \frac{\partial F_\phi}{\partial \alpha}+a F_\phi \cos \phi-a \cot \alpha \frac{\partial F_\alpha}{\partial \phi} \right) d\alpha \wedge d\phi ## using stokes tells us that our surface integral is ## \int_S \left( -a \cot \alpha \frac{\partial F_\alpha}{\partial \phi} + a \frac{\partial F_\phi}{\partial \alpha}+a F_\phi \cos \phi \right) d\alpha \wedge d\phi = \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} F_{\alpha} a \cot \alpha d\alpha + \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} F_{\phi} a \sin \alpha d\phi ##
which if I do it, I get

however, there is a problem with this, I don't know my functions true identities? So must I really go through converting to Cartesian? Or is there something I'm missing? I know in Cartersian that ## x = a\sin \alpha \cos \phi ## ## y = a \sin \alpha \sin \alpha ## and ## z = -a \cos \alpha - ln {\tan{\frac{\alpha}{2}}}## so I could work it out if i really had to, but I think I might be missing something obvious!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I appreciate your attempt at solving the given problem and your use of relevant equations and concepts. However, I would like to offer some suggestions and corrections to your solution.

Firstly, in the torsion conditions, you have used the basis ##\{a\cot\alpha d\alpha, a\sin\alpha d\phi\}##, which is incorrect. The correct basis would be ##\{a\cot\alpha d\alpha, a\sin\alpha d\alpha\}##. This is because in the given line element, the variables are ##\alpha## and ##\phi##, not ##\alpha## and ##\alpha##.

Secondly, in your attempt at finding the gaussian curvature, you have correctly found the basis, but your calculation of ##\Omega^1_2## is incorrect. It should be ##\Omega^1_2 = d\omega^1_2 = d(-\sin\alpha d\phi) = -\cos\alpha d\alpha\wedge d\phi##. This leads to the correct value of ##K = \frac{-1}{a^2}##.

Moving on to the calculation of surface area, I would suggest using the first fundamental form, which is given by ##E = a^2\cot^2\alpha, F = 0, G = a^2\sin^2\alpha##. Using this, we can calculate the surface area of the upper half of the tractrix as follows:

$$
\begin{align}
A &= \iint_S \sqrt{EG-F^2}d\alpha\wedge d\phi \\
&= \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi/2}\sqrt{a^4\cot^2\alpha\sin^2\alpha}d\alpha d\phi \\
&= a^2\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi/2}\cot\alpha\sin\alpha d\alpha d\phi \\
&= a^2\int_0^{2\pi}\left[-\cos\alpha\right]_0^{\pi/2}d\phi \\
&= 2\pi a^2
\end{align}
$$

I hope this helps you in solving the given problem. Let me

Related to Curvature/surface area of a tractrix

1. What is the curvature of a tractrix?

The curvature of a tractrix is a mathematical measure of how much the curve bends at a particular point. It is the reciprocal of the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve at that point.

2. How is the curvature of a tractrix calculated?

The curvature of a tractrix can be calculated using the formula: 1/r = cosθ / (a + ln(tanθ/2)), where r is the radius, θ is the angle, and a is the length of the curve.

3. What is the surface area of a tractrix?

The surface area of a tractrix is the total area covered by the curve when it is revolved around the x-axis. It is given by the formula: S = 2πa^2, where a is the length of the curve.

4. How is the surface area of a tractrix calculated?

The surface area of a tractrix can be calculated by integrating the arc length formula for the curve: S = ∫2πy√(1 + (dy/dx)^2)dx, where y is the height of the curve at a given point.

5. What real-world applications does the tractrix have?

The tractrix curve has various applications in engineering and physics. It can be used to design the shape of roads and railway tracks to minimize friction and wear, as well as to model the movement of a pendulum. It also has applications in optics and aerodynamics.