Curve Fitting with Matlab: Tips and Tutorials

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter theone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, to use Matlab for curve fitting, you can import your data, define a function, create a fit object, visualize the fit, and retrieve the coefficients. There is a difference between linear and nonlinear curve fitting, with the latter being able to capture more complex relationships. Some commonly used curve fitting functions in Matlab include polyfit, lsqcurvefit, and interp1. To assess the goodness of fit, you can calculate R^2, visually inspect the fit, or check for patterns in the residuals. Multiple curve fittings can be performed using the "fit" function, "multiFit" function, or "fittype" function for custom fit types.
theone
http://postimg.org/image/6zlab4elj/

I have x and y data for the red curve and I want to fit that data to the custom equations in the red boxes. I am trying to use lsqcurvefit to do this but I'm new and I don't know how to use it.

Does anyone know any videos that would help?

Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: Curve Fitting with Matlab: Tips and Tutorials

1. How do I use Matlab for curve fitting?

To use Matlab for curve fitting, you can follow these steps:1. Import your data into Matlab using the "importdata" function.2. Define the function that you want to fit your data to.3. Use the "fit" function to create a fit object.4. Use the "plot" function to visualize your fit.5. Use the "coeffvalues" function to retrieve the coefficients of your fit.

2. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear curve fitting in Matlab?

Linear curve fitting in Matlab involves fitting data to a linear model, where the dependent variable is a linear function of the independent variables. Nonlinear curve fitting involves fitting data to a nonlinear model, where the dependent variable is a nonlinear function of the independent variables. This means that nonlinear curve fitting can capture more complex relationships between variables.

3. What are the most commonly used curve fitting functions in Matlab?

Some of the most commonly used curve fitting functions in Matlab include "polyfit" for polynomial fitting, "lsqcurvefit" for nonlinear least squares fitting, and "interp1" for interpolation.

4. How do I assess the goodness of fit for a curve fitting in Matlab?

There are a few ways to assess the goodness of fit for a curve fitting in Matlab. One way is to calculate the coefficient of determination (R^2) which measures how well your data fits the curve. Another way is to visually inspect the fit by plotting the data and the curve together. Additionally, you can calculate the residuals (difference between the data and the fitted curve) and check for patterns that may indicate a poor fit.

5. Can I perform multiple curve fittings in Matlab?

Yes, you can perform multiple curve fittings in Matlab by using the "fit" function multiple times with different data sets or by using the "multiFit" function, which allows you to fit multiple curves to a single data set. You can also use the "fittype" function to create a custom fit type that can be used for multiple curve fittings.