Curves on a Position time graph

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a position-time graph and the different curves shown on it. The person is confused about the meaning of the inward and outward curves and whether A or B has an increasing or decreasing velocity. There is also a discussion about the accuracy of the graphs and the correct answer, which is likely B due to the initial acceleration and constant negative velocity followed by a faster positive velocity.
qwertyqwert321

Homework Statement

CLWXEE5.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I knew the answer was between A and B, but the inward curves and outward curves on the position time graph confused me , what exactly does it mean?
-does A have an increasing velocity and then B has a decreasing velocity? I am really confused with the slopes

Physics news on Phys.org
qwertyqwert321 said:
does A have an increasing velocity and then B has a decreasing velocity?
Yes.

I don't think any of the graphs are correct. The one that is the closest is still wrong because the absolute value of the gradient of the segment that is described as 'slow constant speed' is greater than that for the segment described as 'running'. They should replace 'runs' by 'strolls' or even 'crawls'.

I think the correct answer would have the first two segments of A followed by the last two segments of B.

The answer is probably B. The problem statement doesn't state the acceleration is constant, so an initially higher amount of acceleration that reduces as the constant speed is approached would be allowed, so B's curve in position versus time during acceleration isn't an issue. (Consider the case of a sprinter taking off from blocks). This leaves the slower constant negative velocity followed by faster positive velocity to decide between A and B.

Likes andrewkirk
rcgldr said:
The problem statement doesn't state the acceleration is constant
Great lateral thinking!

Related to Curves on a Position time graph

1. What does the shape of a position-time graph represent?

The shape of a position-time graph represents the motion of an object. It shows how the position of an object changes over time.

2. What does a flat line on a position-time graph indicate?

A flat line on a position-time graph indicates that the object is not moving, or is at rest.

3. What does a steep slope on a position-time graph indicate?

A steep slope on a position-time graph indicates that the object is moving at a constant speed.

4. What does a curved line on a position-time graph indicate?

A curved line on a position-time graph indicates that the object is accelerating. The steeper the curve, the greater the acceleration.

5. How can you determine an object's velocity from a position-time graph?

The velocity of an object can be determined by calculating the slope of the line on a position-time graph. The slope is equal to the object's average velocity over a given time interval.

Back