Cutting Up Squares: Problem Solving Method

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem where a square must be cut into smaller rectangles to fit the most number of rectangles with the least number of cuts. The question also considers the possibility of extending this problem to higher dimensions. It is necessary to specify the number of rectangles and if any type of cut is allowed. The conversation also mentions the concept of sphere packing as a possible solution. It is suggested that the problem may be similar to the sphere packing problem but with some differences. The conversation also explores the idea of using intuition to solve the problem and considers the possibility of finding a more methodical approach.
I don't really know if this is in the right place, or what the problem is called, if its in the wrong place I'm sorry. Anyway my question is apart from intuition is there any method to solve a problem like say we have an object like a square, and we are given for instance rectangles, that in one dimension are larger than the square, but their total area is less, how do we cut up the square to fit the the most number of rectangles, in the least number of cuts? Can it be extended to higher dimensions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to think more about this but it is necessary to specify
i)the number of rectangles
ii) is any cut allowed? Can I cut a triangle out of the square and fill it in the rectangle? Is there
a restriction on the shape or size of the cut area?
The more rectangles you need to fill, the more cuts you need to do but at the same time
number of cuts have to be minimized so what you want is a middle ground in between
Anyways from top of my head sphere packing or things
along that line sound similar to me but in all honesty I might have to think
more and see where the problem leads

6.28318531 said:
... is there any method to solve a problem like
say we have an object like a square, and we are given for instance

**) rectangles,

that in one dimension are larger than the square,

but their total area is less, how do we cut up the square

to fit the the most number of rectangles,
in the least number of cuts?

**) For a given square, are all of the rectangles congruent to each other?

abiyo said:
I have to think more about this but it is necessary to specify
i)the number of rectangles
ii) is any cut allowed? Can I cut a triangle out of the square and fill it in the rectangle? Is there
a restriction on the shape or size of the cut area?
The more rectangles you need to fill, the more cuts you need to do but at the same time
number of cuts have to be minimized so what you want is a middle ground in between
Anyways from top of my head sphere packing or things
along that line sound similar to me but in all honesty I might have to think
more and see where the problem leads

Sorry been busy for the last few days.
Maybe just let it be that you can only make up rectangles from rectangles, so you are restricted in the cuts you can make.I think the number of rectangles would be specified. Yeah its sort of like the sphere problem, but different.and @checkitagain not necessarily.

6.28318531 said:
... an object like a square, and we are given for instance rectangles,
that in one dimension are larger than the square, but their total area
is less [itex]than \ the \ square's, \ [/itex] how do we cut up the square to fit
the the most number of rectangles, in the least number of cuts?

Because the total area of the rectangles is less than the square,
shouldn't we be able to "fill up" [itex]all \ [/itex] of the rectangles using a
finite number of cuts of the square?

Yeah you should always be able to do that, I suppose I was asking what is the least number of cuts required, and what is the most efficient use of the square's area. I was also curious if there is a way to work it out rather than using intuition.

FAQ: Cutting Up Squares: Problem Solving Method

1. What is the "Cutting Up Squares" problem solving method?

The "Cutting Up Squares" problem solving method is a mathematical strategy used to solve problems involving cutting shapes, specifically squares, into smaller pieces in order to find a solution. It involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable pieces and then using logical reasoning to find a solution.

2. How does the "Cutting Up Squares" method work?

The method involves drawing and labeling a square, dividing it into smaller squares or rectangles, and then using the given information and relationships between the smaller pieces to find a solution. It also involves using algebraic equations and logical reasoning to help solve the problem.

3. What types of problems can be solved using the "Cutting Up Squares" method?

The "Cutting Up Squares" method can be used to solve a variety of mathematical problems, including geometry, algebra, and optimization problems. It can also be used to solve real-world problems, such as maximizing space in a room or minimizing waste in a manufacturing process.

4. What are the benefits of using the "Cutting Up Squares" method?

The "Cutting Up Squares" method helps break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable pieces, making it easier to understand and solve. It also encourages logical and critical thinking skills, as well as promoting creativity in finding different solutions to a problem.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Cutting Up Squares" method?

While the "Cutting Up Squares" method can be helpful in solving many types of problems, it may not be the most efficient or effective method for every problem. It also requires a good understanding of algebra and geometric concepts, so it may not be suitable for younger students or those with limited mathematical knowledge.

Back