Cycloid motion of electron in perpendicular E and B field

In summary, an electron is released from an infinite metal plate at y = 0 with negligible initial velocity. The plate is kept at zero potential and is exposed to a uniform magnetic field B in the positive z-direction and a uniform electric field E in the negative y-direction. A second infinite plate, also parallel to the first, maintains a constant positive voltage V_{0} with respect to the first plate. The plates are separated by a distance d. It is shown that the electron will miss the plate at V_{0} if d is greater than the square root of 2mV_{0}/eB^{2}. Conservation of energy is used to solve the problem, with the maximum value of y being equal to
bobred

Homework Statement

An infinite metal plate occupies the xz-plane. The plate is kept at zero potential. Electrons are liberated from the plate at y = 0. The initial velocity of the electrons is negligible. A uniform magnetic field B is maintained parallel to the plate in the positive z-direction and a uniform electric field E is maintained perpendicular to the plate in the negative y-direction. The electric field is produced by a second infinite plate parallel to the first plate, maintained at a constant positive voltage [itex]V_{0}[/itex] with respect to the first plate. The separation of the plates is [itex]d[/itex]. Show that the electron will miss the plate at [itex]V_{0}[/itex] if

[itex]d>\sqrt{\frac{2mV_{0}}{eB^2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]v_{x}=\frac{E}{B}\left(1-\cos\left(\frac{qB}{m}t\right)\right)[/itex]
[itex]v_{y}=\frac{E}{B}\sin\left(\frac{qB}{m}t\right)[/itex]
[itex]v_{z}=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this produces a cycloid traveling in the minus x direction. If [itex]r[/itex] is the radius of a rolling circle then [itex]d>2r[/itex] to miss. I think I should be using conservation of energy but don't know the form of the velocity. I am assuming the perpendicular velocity will be the sum of a transverse and rotational velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try integrating the expression for vy with respect to time to get an expression for y as a function of time. Choose the constant of integration to match the initial condition for y. Then examine the expression.

I don't see an easy way to use energy conservation.

bobred said:

Homework Statement

An infinite metal plate occupies the xz-plane. The plate is kept at zero potential. Electrons are liberated from the plate at y = 0. The initial velocity of the electrons is negligible. A uniform magnetic field B is maintained parallel to the plate in the positive z-direction and a uniform electric field E is maintained perpendicular to the plate in the negative y-direction. The electric field is produced by a second infinite plate parallel to the first plate, maintained at a constant positive voltage [itex]V_{0}[/itex] with respect to the first plate. The separation of the plates is [itex]d[/itex]. Show that the electron will miss the plate at [itex]V_{0}[/itex] if

[itex]d>\sqrt{\frac{2mV_{0}}{eB^2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]v_{x}=\frac{E}{B}\left(1-\cos\left(\frac{qB}{m}t\right)\right)[/itex]
[itex]v_{y}=\frac{E}{B}\sin\left(\frac{qB}{m}t\right)[/itex]
[itex]v_{z}=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this produces a cycloid traveling in the minus x direction. If [itex]r[/itex] is the radius of a rolling circle then [itex]d>2r[/itex] to miss. I think I should be using conservation of energy but don't know the form of the velocity. I am assuming the perpendicular velocity will be the sum of a transverse and rotational velocity?
Oooh, nice problem. :smile:

You can use conservation of energy to solve this problem. Well, that and the work-energy theorem. Conservation of energy makes this problem a lot easier. Here are a few things that are noteworthy (you can call them hints if you like):

1) The magnetic forces always acts in a direction perpendicular to the electron's velocity. In other words, the magnetic force never causes the electron's speed to increase or decrease, it only changes the direction. Still in other words, the magnetic force does no work on the electron.

2) You're going to have to determine the maximum speed of the electron. But there are couple of tricks you can do to make it simpler, if you choose to use them. When the electron is at its maximum speed, which direction is going? What's the maximum value of [1-cos(x)]?

3) You'll need to determine a relationship between E and V0, but that should be pretty simple. :wink:

collinsmark said:
Oooh, nice problem. :smile:

You can use conservation of energy to solve this problem. Well, that and the work-energy theorem. Conservation of energy makes this problem a lot easier. Here are a few things that are noteworthy (you can call them hints if you like):

1) The magnetic forces always acts in a direction perpendicular to the electron's velocity. In other words, the magnetic force never causes the electron's speed to increase or decrease, it only changes the direction. Still in other words, the magnetic force does no work on the electron.

2) You're going to have to determine the maximum speed of the electron. But there are couple of tricks you can do to make it simpler, if you choose to use them. When the electron is at its maximum speed, which direction is going? What's the maximum value of [1-cos(x)]?

3) You'll need to determine a relationship between E and V0, but that should be pretty simple. :wink:

Ah, nice. I now see that using conservation of energy is a good way to get the result.

My suggestion of integrating vy to get y as a function of time also gets the answer in short order. But I like the energy approach. Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Part of the question before asked for the expressions of [itex]x(0)=0[/itex] and [itex]y(0)=0[/itex] giving

[itex]x=\frac{E}{B}t-\frac{Em}{qB^{2}}\sin\left(\frac{qB}{m}t\right)[/itex]

[itex]y=\frac{Em}{qB^{2}}\left(1-\cos\left(\frac{qB}{m}t\right)\right)[/itex]

The expression [itex]\left(1-\cos\left(\frac{qB}{m}t\right)\right)[/itex] at maximum is 2 so [itex]y[/itex] has a max of

[itex]y=\frac{2Em}{qB^{2}}[/itex] and [itex]E=V_{0}/d[/itex] so

[itex]y=\frac{2mV_{0}}{qdB^{2}}[/itex]

I keep going around in circles with this.

You're essentially there:smile: Just interpret what you got. The electron will barely reach the plate if y-max equals what value? Put this value of y into your result and solve for d.

I think you're on the right track.

What's the magnitude of the electron's charge q? (As in terms of e)?

The variable y is a measure of length (well, technically displacement in the y direction, but that's still a measure of length). What is the value of y when it is at its maximum? (I.e. what's the significance of ymax = d?)

[Edit: TSny beat me to the hint.]

Last edited:
Hi

Sorry, went back to the start and had a look at the Lorentz force equations and worked forward from there and using conservation of energy to get the result.
Thanks again.

Related to Cycloid motion of electron in perpendicular E and B field

1. What is cycloid motion of an electron in a perpendicular E and B field?

The cycloid motion of an electron in a perpendicular electric and magnetic field refers to the curved path that an electron follows when it is subjected to both an electric field that is perpendicular to a magnetic field.

2. What causes an electron to have cycloid motion in a perpendicular E and B field?

The cycloid motion of an electron is caused by the Lorentz force, which is the force experienced by a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. The combination of the electric and magnetic fields creates a force on the electron that causes it to move in a curved path.

3. What is the significance of cycloid motion in the study of electromagnetism?

Cycloid motion is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in the presence of both electric and magnetic fields. This is important in many areas of science, including particle physics, astrophysics, and electrical engineering.

4. How does the velocity of an electron affect its cycloid motion in a perpendicular E and B field?

The velocity of an electron affects the size and shape of its cycloid motion. A higher velocity will result in a larger radius of the cycloid, while a lower velocity will result in a smaller radius. The shape of the cycloid will also be affected by the direction and magnitude of the velocity.

5. Can an electron have cycloid motion in a perpendicular E and B field without an initial velocity?

No, an electron must have an initial velocity in order to have cycloid motion in a perpendicular electric and magnetic field. If there is no initial velocity, the electron will simply move in a straight line due to the Lorentz force and will not follow a curved path.