Cylindrical Container Minimum Cost

In summary, the problem is to find the quotient of the height by the radius of a cylindrical container with fixed volume V, in order to minimize the manufacturing cost given that the unit area of the base costs twice the unit area of the lateral surface. After setting up the cost function and solving for r, it is found that the minimum cost occurs when r^3 = V/(2π), which can be substituted back into the volume function to find the corresponding value of h.
karkas

Homework Statement

An industry is to construct a cylindrical container of fixed volume
V, which is open at the top of. Find the quotient of the height by
radius of the base of the container so that manufacturing cost can be minimal, given that the unit area of the base costs (b) twice the unit area
the lateral surface (a) .

Homework Equations

V = π r^2 h
A = π r^2
S = 2πrh (lateral surface)

The Attempt at a Solution

The cost of manufacturing the container is C= C_s + C_a = Α * a + S * b, where b=2a so
C= 2a A + a S = 2πr^2 a + 2πrh a . I understand that we need to form the ratio h/r and regard that as the variable for the cost equation, but I see no way to do so... We are also give that V=constant, but other than the equation r^2 h = Constant I have no clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem statement had the unit area cost of the base as b, and the unit area cost of the sides as a, with b = 2a. That would make your cost function
[tex] C = A b + S a [/tex]
and since b = 2a,
[tex]C = 2 a A + a S = a (2 A + S) [/tex]
[tex]C = a (2 \pi r^2 + 2 \pi r h) [/tex]
[tex]C = 2 \pi a (r^2 + r h) [/tex]
Now, the volume V is a constant so you can solve the volume expression for h and replace h in the above with it. You then have a cost function that involves only one variable: r. Minimize the cost function w.r.t. r.

So if V is constant, then h acts as a parameter for r, and we can transform C into a function of only r by solving for r in the V equation? That feels simple however I hesitated to do so because I kept thinking of C as a multivariable equation (not that we have studied them so far) of r and h.

So by substituting h we get [tex]C = 2 \pi a (r^2 + \frac{V}{\pi r})[/tex]. Is this correct? I proceed to study the derivative which is [tex]C'= 2 \pi a (2r + -\frac{V}{\pi r^2})[/tex] and we get that minimal cost C comes where C' = 0 and [tex]r^3 = \frac{V}{2\pi}[/tex] so we substitute V and find the ratio?

There's no need to substitute for V, since it's a constant. This value of r should be the required solution for the radius (you should check to make sure that it represents a minimum for the cost function and not a maximum!).

Use this value of r in the volume function to find the corresponding value of h.

gneill said:
There's no need to substitute for V, since it's a constant. This value of r should be the required solution for the radius (you should check to make sure that it represents a minimum for the cost function and not a maximum!).

Use this value of r in the volume function to find the corresponding value of h.

Yes that's what I am saying! Thanks a lot gneill!

FAQ: Cylindrical Container Minimum Cost

1. What is a cylindrical container minimum cost?

A cylindrical container minimum cost refers to the minimum amount of money required to manufacture a cylindrical container with a given volume. It includes the cost of materials, labor, and other production expenses.

2. How is the minimum cost of a cylindrical container calculated?

The minimum cost of a cylindrical container is calculated by considering the volume of the container and the cost of materials and labor per unit volume. The formula for calculating the minimum cost is: minimum cost = volume * (cost of materials per unit volume + cost of labor per unit volume).

3. What factors affect the minimum cost of a cylindrical container?

The minimum cost of a cylindrical container is affected by various factors such as the volume of the container, the cost of materials, the cost of labor, and any additional production expenses such as transportation and packaging costs.

4. How can the minimum cost of a cylindrical container be minimized?

The minimum cost of a cylindrical container can be minimized by reducing the cost of materials, optimizing the production process, and negotiating lower labor costs. Using efficient production techniques and reducing wastage can also help in minimizing the cost.

5. Why is it important to consider the minimum cost of a cylindrical container?

Considering the minimum cost of a cylindrical container is important because it can significantly impact the profitability of a business. By minimizing the cost of production, a company can increase its profit margins and remain competitive in the market.

Back