Cylindrical resonance cavity problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field and dispersion relation for a cylindrical cavity using Maxwell's equations. The attempt at a solution involves solving the vector Helmholtz equation and separating variables, but finding E_r and E_phi proves difficult without making additional assumptions. The person is seeking help and asks if the problem is solvable.
danielakkerma
Hello all!

Homework Statement

Consider a cylindrical cavity with length "d" and radius "a". Find the corresponding electric field, and the dispersion relation therein.

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve the appropriate vector Helmholtz equation(obtained by assuming harmonic time-dependence of the waves in the cavity).
Within the cylinder, one arrives at(where: [itex]\vec{E}=\vec{E_0}(r, \varphi, z)e^{-i \omega t}[/itex])
[tex]
\vec{\nabla}^2 \vec{E_0} = \frac{\omega^2}{c^2} \vec{E_0}
[/tex]
However, since [itex] \vec{E_0} = E_r \hat{r} + E_\varphi \hat{\varphi} + E_z \hat{z} [/itex], the Laplacian becomes far more convoluted in the cylindrical form.
Solving for Ez is not that difficult(with appropriate separation of variables).
However, how does one find E_r, E_phi?
After all, solving for the wave equation for the r, phi components involves:
[tex]
(\vec{\nabla}^2 \vec{E_0})_r = \vec{\nabla}^2 E_r - \frac{1}{r^2}(E_r + 2\frac{\partial E_{\varphi}}{\partial \varphi})
[/tex]
However, this equation for E_r requires E_phi; and obviously, the components of E_r are not necessarily identical to E_phi, so substituting one for the other(through analogous separation of variables for both) is impossible here.
Without making any other assumptions(or simplifications; for instance, I managed to simplify the problem greatly if I assumed complete azimuthal symmetry(i.e. E_phi = 0 & d/dphi =0)), is there any way to obtain an exact solution for this? Where should I turn to, next?
Thank you for your attention,
Reliant on your help,
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
Going to have to bump this; is this at all solvable?

Bump

Bumping again.

Related to Cylindrical resonance cavity problem

1. What is a cylindrical resonance cavity?

A cylindrical resonance cavity is a type of resonant cavity that is shaped like a cylinder. It is used in scientific research and industrial applications to study the behavior of electromagnetic waves and particles.

2. How does a cylindrical resonance cavity work?

A cylindrical resonance cavity works by trapping and confining electromagnetic waves or particles within its cylindrical walls. This confinement causes the waves or particles to resonate at specific frequencies, allowing scientists to study their properties and behavior.

3. What are the applications of cylindrical resonance cavities?

Cylindrical resonance cavities have various applications in fields such as particle accelerators, microwave technology, and medical imaging. They are also used in research for studying the properties of electromagnetic waves and particles.

4. What factors affect the resonance frequency of a cylindrical cavity?

The resonance frequency of a cylindrical cavity is affected by several factors, including the size and geometry of the cavity, the materials used, and the presence of any external fields. The material's dielectric constant and conductivity also play a role in determining the resonance frequency.

5. How is the resonance frequency of a cylindrical cavity calculated?

The resonance frequency of a cylindrical cavity can be calculated using the formula f = (nc/2π) * sqrt(εr), where n is the mode number, c is the speed of light, and εr is the relative permittivity of the material. This formula applies to both circular and cylindrical cavities.