D/dx in Spherical Coordinates: What am I Missing?

In summary, the question asks if the partial derivative of r with respect to x is equal to the inverse of the partial derivative of x with respect to r. However, it is shown that these are not equal due to the dependence on other coordinates. A mistake is made in the attempt to prove this by assuming that the partial derivative and the ordinary derivative are the same, but they are not.
raul_l

Homework Statement

Hi. I have a simple question. Is it true that [tex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = (\frac{\partial x}{\partial r})^{-1} [/tex] ?

Because I'm having some trouble with the conversion between rectangular and spherical coordinates.

Homework Equations

[tex] x = r cos \phi sin \theta [/tex]

[tex] y = r sin \phi sin \theta [/tex]

[tex] z = r cos \theta [/tex]

[tex] r = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It is easy to show that
[tex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = cos \phi sin \theta [/tex]

However, we see that
[tex] (\frac{\partial x}{\partial r})^{-1} = (\frac{\partial (r cos \phi sin \theta)}{\partial r})^{-1}= \frac{1}{cos \phi sin \theta} [/tex]

and these are clearly not equal.

What am I missing? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi raul_l! :smile:

(have a curly d: ∂ :wink:)
raul_l said:
Hi. I have a simple question. Is it true that [tex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = (\frac{\partial x}{\partial r})^{-1} [/tex] ?

No, it doesn't work for partial derivatives, because they depend on what the other (unwritten) coordinates are.

∂r/dx keeps y constant, but ∂x/dr keeps θ constant …

and keeping y and θ constant aren't the same! :wink:

Yes, I suspected that. Thanks.

But it's weird that if I multiply both sides by [tex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial r} [/tex] I get
[tex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial r} = 1 [/tex]
and that seems mathematically correct.

You made a little mistake.:wink:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dr}=cos \phi sin \theta[/tex]

Proof.

[tex]
r = \frac{x}{cos \phi sin \theta}
[/tex]

[tex]dr=\frac{(x)'cos \phi sin \theta - x(cos \phi sin \theta)'}{cos^2 \phi sin^2 \theta} dx[/tex]

[tex]dr=\frac{cos \phi sin \theta}{cos^2 \phi sin^2 \theta}dx[/tex]

[tex]dr=\frac{1}{cos \phi sin \theta}dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dr}{dx}=\frac{1}{cos \phi sin \theta}[/tex]

Is this right, mate :smile: ?

Last edited:
njama said:
Is this right, mate :smile: ?

Sorry, chuck :redface:

not unless you're using those weird (x,θ,φ) coordinates. :rolleyes:

Just you need to prove that

[tex] \frac{dr}{dx} = (\frac{dx}{dr})^{-1} [/tex]

[tex](\frac{dx}{dr})^{-1}=(cos \phi sin \theta)^{-1}=\frac{1}{cos \phi sin \theta}=\frac{dr}{dx}[/tex]

I can do science me. :smile:

njama, there's a difference between [tex] \frac{dr}{dx} [/tex] and [tex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} [/tex].

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the left side of what you wrote is equal to
[tex] \frac{dr}{dx} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial r}{\partial y} \frac{d y}{d x} + \frac{\partial r}{\partial z} \frac{d z}{d x} [/tex]

while right side is equal to
[tex] (\frac{dx}{dr})^{-1} = (\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} + \frac{\partial x}{\partial \phi} \frac{d \phi}{d r} + \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} \frac{d \theta}{d r})^{-1} [/tex]

and it doesn't look like these would be equal.

Last edited:

Related to D/dx in Spherical Coordinates: What am I Missing?

1. What is D/dx in spherical coordinates?

D/dx in spherical coordinates is a mathematical notation used to represent the partial derivative with respect to the variable x in a three-dimensional spherical coordinate system. It is used to describe the rate of change of a function in the x-direction while holding the other variables constant.

2. How is D/dx calculated in spherical coordinates?

To calculate D/dx in spherical coordinates, the chain rule is used. The formula is D/dx = (1/r)(∂/∂x), where r represents the distance from the origin to the point of interest and ∂/∂x is the partial derivative with respect to x in Cartesian coordinates.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates for D/dx?

One advantage of using spherical coordinates for D/dx is that it simplifies the equations for certain physical problems, such as those involving spherical symmetry. It also allows for a more intuitive interpretation of the partial derivative in terms of the direction of change in the coordinate system.

4. Are there any limitations to using D/dx in spherical coordinates?

While D/dx in spherical coordinates can be useful in certain situations, it is not always the most convenient coordinate system for all problems. It may not be suitable for functions that do not exhibit spherical symmetry or for problems that require a high degree of accuracy.

5. How is D/dx used in real-world applications?

D/dx in spherical coordinates is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of physical systems, such as fluid flow or electromagnetic fields. It is also used in geology and astronomy to model the shape and motion of planets and other celestial bodies.