D.E. Boundary Value Problem: Finished the work but it might be wrong

In summary, a D.E. boundary value problem involves finding a solution to a differential equation that satisfies certain conditions at the boundaries of the problem domain. To determine if you have finished solving a D.E. boundary value problem, you should check if your solution satisfies all of the boundary conditions and is a valid solution to the given differential equation. If you are unsure about the correctness of your solution, it is important to double check your work and seek assistance if needed. Some common mistakes when solving a D.E. boundary value problem include algebraic errors, incorrect application of boundary conditions, and using the wrong method. Lastly, a D.E. boundary value problem can have multiple solutions depending on the given conditions.
Jeff12341234
I get a different answer from my classmates. Where did I go wrong?

RhFl2RZ.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, this is not a boundary value problem. This an initial value problem.

Second, the expression you got for y'' is wrong.

if y" is wrong, then why does everything else check out? I double-checked it with my Ti-nSpire CAS and with Wolfram Alpha

I am sorry, I did not realize that you changed the order of terms in y''. It is correct. And I do not see any error in what follows.

Related to D.E. Boundary Value Problem: Finished the work but it might be wrong

1. What is a D.E. boundary value problem?

A D.E. boundary value problem involves finding a solution to a differential equation that satisfies certain conditions (known as boundary conditions) at the boundaries of the problem domain.

2. How do you know if you have finished solving a D.E. boundary value problem?

You can determine if you have finished solving a D.E. boundary value problem by checking if your solution satisfies all of the boundary conditions and if it is a valid solution to the given differential equation.

3. What should I do if I think my solution to a D.E. boundary value problem might be wrong?

If you have completed solving a D.E. boundary value problem but are unsure if your solution is correct, you should double check your work and make sure you have correctly applied all of the necessary equations and techniques. If you are still unsure, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a fellow scientist or professor.

4. Are there any common mistakes when solving a D.E. boundary value problem?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving a D.E. boundary value problem include algebraic errors, incorrect application of boundary conditions, and using the wrong method or approach for the given problem. It is important to carefully check your work and be aware of these potential pitfalls.

5. Can a D.E. boundary value problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a D.E. boundary value problem can have multiple solutions. In some cases, the boundary conditions may allow for more than one valid solution to the given differential equation. It is important to carefully consider the problem and the given conditions to determine if there are multiple solutions.