D Flip Flop with Enable: Understanding Function and Next State Equation"

• Thread starter torino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flip flop
In summary, the d flip flop with clock enable is an electronic component that is used to store a digital state. The clock enable is used to freeze the state of the flip-flop when "not enabled". When "enabled", the flip-flop acts normally.
torino

Homework Statement

What does flip flop with clock enable mean and what is the next state equation for D flip flop with clock enable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The clock enable is used to freeze the state of the flip-flop when "not enabled". When "enabled", the flip-flop acts normally. Avoid asynchronous assertion/de-assertion of this input for best results. See datasheet for a 74377 for more information.

Can you please explain what do you mean by this ?
lewando said:
Avoid asynchronous assertion/de-assertion of this input for best results.
and thanks for your reply

I just mean when you affect the operation of a digital system by means of using a clock enable or otherwise gating the clock, it's a good idea to make sure you are doing so in a controlled manner (unless the consequences of not doing so are inconsequential). If you were to disable the f-f by de-asserting the clock enable signal around the same time the falling edge (typically the edge that makes the f-f update its state) was happening, you have some uncertainty as to which occurs first (and so uncertainty of the state of the f-f: updated or not updated). To reduce this uncertainty, control when the clock enable changes state. This means synchronize the clock enable with the clock, ideally using the rising edge of the clock (when the f-f is not being updated) to do the synchronization. Hopefully this is clear. Ask away if not.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I drew a circuit for the d flip flop with clock enable. I just connected an AND gate to the flip flop with two inputs (clock and enable) Is it correct?? and for the characteristic equation I'm still not sure how to get it. Should i make a truth table with four values (D,Q,E(enable),C(clock)) and an output (Q+). I did that but I don't think it's correct. I've been told that the value of E(eneable) shouldn't change in the truth table. I just change the values of D,Q,C.

FAQ: D Flip Flop with Enable: Understanding Function and Next State Equation"

What is a D Flip Flop with enable?

A D Flip Flop with enable is a digital circuit that stores a single bit of data and can be enabled or disabled based on a control signal. It is commonly used in sequential logic circuits and can be used to store temporary data or to synchronize signals in a system.

How does a D Flip Flop with enable work?

A D Flip Flop with enable has two stable states, namely the SET state and the RESET state. When the enable input is high, the D input is passed to the output and the circuit behaves like a standard D Flip Flop. When the enable input is low, the output is held at its previous state regardless of any changes in the D input. This allows for the circuit to be turned on and off, making it useful in various applications.

What are the advantages of using a D Flip Flop with enable?

One advantage of using a D Flip Flop with enable is that it allows for the storage of temporary data without being affected by changes in the D input. This makes it useful for synchronizing different signals in a system, as well as for reducing power consumption by disabling the circuit when not in use.

What are the applications of a D Flip Flop with enable?

D Flip Flops with enable are commonly used in applications that require temporary storage of data or synchronization of signals. Some examples include shift registers, counters, and control circuits in microprocessors.

How does a D Flip Flop with enable differ from other types of Flip Flops?

A D Flip Flop with enable differs from other types of Flip Flops, such as the D Flip Flop without enable and the JK Flip Flop, in that it has an additional enable input that allows for the circuit to be turned on and off. This provides more flexibility and functionality in certain applications.