Dale Simpson's question at Yahoo Answers (One-to-one matrix)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: Therefore, $A$ must be one-to-one.In summary, if any linear combination of the form $a_1v_1+\ldots+a_kv_k=0$ has only the trivial solution, then the matrix $A$ is one-to-one.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

recall a matrix A is one-to-one if for vectors x and y, Ax = Ay implies that x = y. Suppose A is a
matrix with columns v1, v2, . . . vk. Prove if any linear combination of the form
a1*v1 + a2*v2 + : : : + ak*vk = 0;
has only the trivial solution, then A is one-to-one.

Here is a link to the question:

Prove a matrix is one to one? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Dale,

Suppose that $A$ (order $m\times k$) is not one-to-one, then there exist vectors $x=(x_1,\ldots,x_k)^t$ and $y=(y_1,\ldots,y_k)^t$ such that $Ax=Ay$ with $x\neq y$. Equivalently, $A(x-y)=0$ with $x\neq y$. We have $x_i-y_i\neq 0$ for some $i$. Then, $$\begin{aligned}&A\begin{bmatrix}x_1-y_1\\ \vdots\\{x_i-y_i}\\ \vdots\\x_k-y_k\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}{v_1}&{\ldots}&{v_k}\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1-y_1\\ \vdots\\{x_i-y_i}\\ \vdots\\x_k-y_k\end{bmatrix}\\&=(x_1-y_1)v_1+\ldots+(x_i-y_i)v_i+\ldots+(x_k-y_k)v_k=0\end{aligned}$$ This implies that not all linear combination $a_1v_1+\ldots+a_kv_k=0$ has only the trivial solution (contradiction).

Related to Dale Simpson's question at Yahoo Answers (One-to-one matrix)

1. What is a one-to-one matrix?

A one-to-one matrix is a mathematical representation of a linear transformation that maps each element of one set to a unique element in another set. In other words, each input has a corresponding and unique output. The matrix is called a one-to-one matrix because it has a one-to-one relationship between its rows and columns.

2. How is a one-to-one matrix different from a regular matrix?

A regular matrix can have repeated elements in its rows and columns, while a one-to-one matrix cannot. In a regular matrix, multiple inputs can result in the same output, but in a one-to-one matrix, each input has a unique output.

3. What are the applications of one-to-one matrices?

One-to-one matrices are widely used in fields such as computer graphics, cryptography, and data compression. They can also be used to solve systems of equations and to represent linear transformations in mathematics.

4. How can I determine if a matrix is one-to-one?

A matrix is one-to-one if and only if its rows (or columns) are linearly independent. This means that no row can be expressed as a linear combination of the other rows. In other words, the rows must be distinct and not dependent on each other.

5. Can a matrix be both one-to-one and onto?

Yes, a matrix can be both one-to-one and onto, which means that each input has a unique output and every element in the output set has a corresponding input. This type of matrix is called a bijective matrix and has a one-to-one and onto relationship between its rows and columns.