D’Alembert’s principle and conservation of energy principles

In summary, using d'Alembert's principle and conservation of energy principles, you can find the work done in moving a 10 kg load up a lubricated slideway at a 30° angle, with an acceleration of 1 m/s^2 over a distance of 1 m. The frictional resistance is 10 N and g = 9.81 m/s^2. The maximum input power provided by the pulling device can also be determined. It is recommended to first use conservation of energy before attempting to use d'Alembert's principle.
lozoot96

Homework Statement

A load of 10 kg is pulled up a lubricated slideway, set at an angle of 30° to the horizontal, such that the load is accelerated from rest to a velocity of 1 m/s whilst traveling up the plane through a distance of 1 m. The frictional resistance to this motion is 10 N and g = 9.81 m/s2.

Using a) d’Alembert’s principle, then b) conservation of energy principles, find:

i) the work done in moving the load as described
ii) the maximum input power provided by the pulling device.

Homework Equations

honestly no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have done my best to research d'Alembert's princeiples but i can't get a single hint anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
lozoot96 said:

Homework Statement

A load of 10 kg is pulled up a lubricated slideway, set at an angle of 30° to the horizontal, such that the load is accelerated from rest to a velocity of 1 m/s whilst traveling up the plane through a distance of 1 m. The frictional resistance to this motion is 10 N and g = 9.81 m/s2.

Using a) d’Alembert’s principle, then b) conservation of energy principles, find:

i) the work done in moving the load as described
ii) the maximum input power provided by the pulling device.

Homework Equations

honestly no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have done my best to research d'Alembert's princeiples but i can't get a single hint anywhere.
Well things can get rather complex using the full description of his principle, as you may have found out by googling it on the Wiki site.
D'Alembert's principle is good to use in certain cases, this not being one of them.
Essentially, however, his principle takes Newton's 2nd law, [itex] F_{net} = ma[/itex], and rearranges it to [itex] F_{net} - ma = 0 [/itex] . Here, the system can be said to be in a state of dynamic equilibrium, where the '-ma' term is called the ficticious inertial force acting opposite to the real net force. In equilibrium, the net work done by all forces, including the inertial force, is 0. You'll have to calculate the acceleration using the kinematic equations. In calculating the work done by the pulling force, you'll have to subtract out the work done by gravity and friction. I don't like it. Try starting first using conservation of energy to see what you get.

Related to D’Alembert’s principle and conservation of energy principles

What is D'Alembert's principle?

D'Alembert's principle is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics that states that the net force acting on a body is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration, and is in the opposite direction of its acceleration.

What is the conservation of energy principle?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This principle is a fundamental law of physics and is applicable to all physical systems.

How are D'Alembert's principle and the conservation of energy principle related?

D'Alembert's principle is derived from the conservation of energy principle. The principle of virtual work, which is used to derive D'Alembert's principle, is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

Can D'Alembert's principle be applied to non-conservative systems?

No, D'Alembert's principle can only be applied to conservative systems, where the total mechanical energy (kinetic and potential) remains constant. Non-conservative systems involve dissipative forces, such as friction, which result in a loss of mechanical energy.

What are the practical applications of D'Alembert's principle and the conservation of energy principle?

These principles have many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. They are used to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems, and are crucial in the design and optimization of structures and machines.