Damped Harmonic Motion Equation

In summary, springs can give you a equation for damped harmonic motion, but it can get complicated and non-linear. It depends on the specifics of your problem.
Procrastinate
I am having trouble finding out what the equation for damped harmonic motion is. I have been researching around there there are many small variations on the exponents.

I am conducting an experiment which has involved the use of the spring constant from Hooke's Law and have used a hypothesis which relates the two together. However, I can't seem to find a credible source for a damped harmonic motion equation when using springs. Hopefully, I was wondering whether someone could give one to me here?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It can get quite complicated and non-linear. In some cases (eg pendulum) you have to make the assumption that the angle dispacement is below a certain "small angle" limit.

But most simply, you use hooks law; force is proportional to dispalcement from equilibrium.
and then you think about another "damping" force, that would be proportional to velocity.

So adding the damping force to the normal "springing" force, you have an equation with the first two derivatives of the displacement (remember force is an acceleration):
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/1/2/b/12b7d08830147608e122c8206841515d.png[/URL]

But (as always) it depends on the specifics of your problem...

Last edited by a moderator:
Onamor said:
It can get quite complicated and non-linear. In some cases (eg pendulum) you have to make the assumption that the angle dispacement is below a certain "small angle" limit.

But most simply, you use hooks law; force is proportional to dispalcement from equilibrium.
and then you think about another "damping" force, that would be proportional to velocity.

So adding the damping force to the normal "springing" force, you have an equation with the first two derivatives of the displacement (remember force is an acceleration):
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/1/2/b/12b7d08830147608e122c8206841515d.png[/URL]

But (as always) it depends on the specifics of your problem...

what happens if I need an equation with a trigonometric function in it i.e. cos?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its going to be infinitely more difficult to find the exact equation you need (and its solution) on the Internet, than just understanding the physics of your problem, formulating and solving your equation.

What to do with a cos term depends on what you need to do... I'd be glad to point you in the right direction if you can give a better description of the problem.

The differential equation onamor gave you is a generalized expression using Newton's 2nd Law. The "c" term is the damping coefficient. Depending on how big that coefficient is, the position function could be either an exponential decay ("overdamped" or "critically damped") or it could be the cosine function you mention with an exponential decay envelope.

I'm sure you've looked there already, but the wikipedia page is pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping

This is good also http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DampedSimpleHarmonicMotion.html

And this http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/oscda.html

And this site has an applet you can play with: http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/mass-spring-lab

Procrastinate said:
what happens if I need an equation with a trigonometric function in it i.e. cos?
It's not clear what you mean by this. Equation for what? Are you talking about a driven harmonic oscillator where the forcing term F(t) is proportional to cos ωt, or are you referring to the solution x(t), which can be oscillatory if the system is underdamped? If it's the former, you just add another term to the differential equation:

[tex]m\ddot{x} = F(t)-kx-b\dot{x}[/tex]

If you know how to solve differential equations, it's probably easiest in the long run if you work through solving the differential equation yourself. It's not trivial, but it's not terribly difficult either. You'll understand what constants go where in the solution and which solution applies instead of trying to guess whether you have the right equation and are using it correctly.

Related to Damped Harmonic Motion Equation

1. What is damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion refers to the oscillatory motion of a system that is subjected to a damping force, which causes the amplitude of the motion to decrease over time.

2. What is the equation for damped harmonic motion?

The equation for damped harmonic motion is x(t) = Ae^(-bt)cos(ωt + φ), where A is the initial amplitude, b is the damping coefficient, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. How does damping affect the motion of a system?

Damping affects the motion of a system by reducing the amplitude and increasing the time period of oscillation. It also causes the system to eventually come to rest at its equilibrium position.

4. What factors determine the rate of damping in a system?

The rate of damping in a system is determined by the damping coefficient, which is dependent on factors such as the material and shape of the system, as well as the surrounding medium and temperature.

5. Can the damped harmonic motion equation be used to model real-world systems?

Yes, the damped harmonic motion equation can be used to model various real-world systems such as springs, pendulums, and electrical circuits. However, in some cases, additional factors such as external forces may need to be taken into account.